The Church of San Simeone Piccolo, also known as Santi Simeone e Giuda (Saints Simon and Judas), is a church in Venice, overlooking the Grand Canal, located in the sestiere of Santa Croce, in front of the Santa Lucia railway station.
The original church was founded in the 9th century by the noble families of Adoldi and Briosi, and was consecrated on June 21, 1271. The ancient church probably had a basilica plan with three naves and was built parallel to the Grand Canal.
In 1718, the rebuilding of the church began under the direction of the architect Giovanni Antonio Scalfarotto. The works were completed 20 years later, and the religious building was consecrated on April 27, 1738, being one of the last churches built in Venice.
Today, the Church of San Simeone Piccolo is the only church in Venice where the Mass is celebrated in Latin.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The pronaos set against a circular plan is a solution already adopted in the twin churches of Piazza del Popolo in Rome. It is surmounted by a triangular tympanum with a marble bas-relief by Francesco Penso.
The large oval dome, disproportionate to the body of the church, has its roots in the Venetian-Byzantine style. The statue placed on the lantern of the dome, work of Michele Fanolli, depicts the Redeemer.
The interior is circular, with four altars featuring 18th century altarpieces. The apse also has a small dome, with niches housing statues. The church has an octagonal crypt, modeled after early Christian catacombs, painted with religious scenes.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Simeone Piccolo is located in front of the Santa Lucia railway station, across the Grand Canal. To get to the church from the railway station, you have to cross the canal on Ponte degli Scalzi. The closest vaporetto stop is Ferrovia, located near the Church of Santa Maria di Nazareth, on the waterbus Lines 1, 2 and 5.2.
Find a place to stay