Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti is a palace in Venice, located in the sestiere of San Marco, in the immediate vicinity of the Accademia Bridge. Since 1999, it belongs to the Venetian Institute of Science, Letters and Arts, which hosts frequent cultural events.
The palace was built in Gothic style in the second half of the 15th century by the Marcello family. It was inhabited later by the Gussoni and the Cavalli families.
In 1847, the palace was ceded to the young Archduke Friedrich Ferdinand of Austria, who initiated a series of works for the modernization of the building.
Later, the palazzo passed to Enrico, Count of Chambord, who commissioned the architect Giovanni Battista Meduna to renovate the structure. Meduna redesigned the palace, which became one of the emblems of the Venetian 19th century.
In 1878, the building was bought by the Baron Raimondo Franchetti. Franchetti started a radical restoration under the direction of the architect Camillo Boito.
In September 1922, the widow of Raimondo, Sarah Luisa de Rothschild, sold the building to the Istituto Federale di Credito per il Risorgimento delle Venezie, which proceeded to a new phase of works and functional adaptations.
The palace is a remarkable example of Gothic architecture. Its facade, which dates back to the 15th century, was heavily restored following the canons of the Venetian Neo-Gothic.
In particular, the style is present in the five-light windows of the two upper floors. The one of the first floor is characterized by intertwined arches, decorated with quadrilobes, while the one of the second floor has the quadrilobes placed at the apex of the arches.
The side facade, which has a large garden in front, proposes a more simple design, characterized by seven single-light windows on each floor.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest waterbus stop is Accademia, located on the other bank of the Grand Canal, beyond the Accademia Bridge. The station can be reached with the waterbus Lines 1 and 2.