Hotel Il Barocco is a 3-Star hotel in Ragusa, located in the ancient part of the town – Ragusa Ibla, about 350 meters from the Church of San Giorgio and about 140 meters from the Hyblean Garden and the Portal of San Giorgio. Set in a 19th-century building, the hotel offers spacious rooms with free Wi-Fi, satellite TV and air conditioning. A varied buffet breakfast is available each morning at the property. HOW TO GET THERE The hotel is located about 2.7 kilometers from the Ragusa railway station and about 3.5 kilometers from the city’s bus terminal. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
a.d. 1768 is a 4-Star boutique hotel in Ragusa, located in Ragusa Ibla – the historical center of the town, about 70 meters away from the Baroque Church of San Giorgio and about 400 meters from the Giardino Ibleo and the Portal of San Giorgio. The hotel offers 7 rooms and 3 suites, equipped with a desk, a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom fitted with a bidet and free toiletries. Some rooms feature a balcony and free WiFi is available throughout the hotel. A continental, buffet or gluten-free breakfast can be enjoyed at the property. HOW TO GET THERE The hotel is located about 2.4 kilometers from the Ragusa train station and about 3.2 kilometers from the city’s bus terminal. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Portale di San Giorgio (Portal of Saint George) is a monument in Ragusa, located in Ragusa Ibla – the ancient center of the city, a few meters away from the Hyblean Garden and the Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri. The Portal is part of the ancient Church of San Giorgio, now demolished. SHORT HISTORY During the second half of the 11th century, Geoffrey, the second eldest son of Roger I of Sicily and the Count of Ragusa, took care of the ancient Church of San Giorgio, expanding it. The Portal of Saint George was built during the first half of the 13th century in Catalan Gothic style, as part of the church. Starting with 1308, the church passed under the patronage of the noble Chiaramonte family, and later, after 1382, under the patronage of the Cabrera family, which began extensive reconstruction works on the building. In the 16th century, the Church of San Giorgio was rebuilt, but suffered some damage during the earthquake of 1542. During the 17th century, Pope Urban VIII proclaimed St. George patron saint of the town, and the church became the most important church in Ragusa. The earthquake of 1693 seriously damaged the church and, Read more [...]
The Church of the Santissimo Trovato is a church in Ragusa, located near the southern border of Ragusa Ibla, adjacent to the Byzantine wall of the ancient city. The church is very close to the Hyblean Garden and the Portal of San Giorgio. SHORT HISTORY The church, relatively new, was built between 1801 and 1807 by the will of the local people, on the place where it was found the sacred ciborium stolen from the Church of Sant’Antonio. The ciborium (a covered cup designed to hold the consecrated Eucharistic bread in the Christian church) was stolen on March 1, 1801, by a certain Cassarà, who later was captured and imprisioned. The last restoration of the church dates back to 1988. ARCHITECTURE The church, with a simple construction, has a portal delimited by pilasters that support a triangular pediment resting on a cornice. A second cornice, slightly higher, is the base of a large window also delimited by pilasters and volutes. The third level is represented by the bell gable. The interior has a single nave and does not offer visitors any particular work of art. HOW TO GET THERE The Church of the Santissimo Trovato is located Read more [...]
The Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri, also known as the Church of the Madonna del Santissimo Rosario, is a deconsecrated church in Ragusa, located in Piazza Giovan Battista Hodierna, near the entrance of the Giardino Ibleo. SHORT HISTORY The church was founded in 1509 by the friars of the Dominican Order, who also built, at the same time, an adjacent convent which no longer exists. After the earthquake of 1693, both the facade and the interior were rebuilt. Behind the apse of the church, an oratory used as the seat of the confraternity was also built. The church and the convent underwent major transformations during the 20th century. At the beginning of the century, the oratory was demolished to create the avenue inside the Hyblean Garden, which today connects the Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri to the Church of San Giacomo Apostolo. In 2004, restoration works of the interior and the facade were started. From December 2010, the building, with about 140 seats, was used as a public auditorium, for cultural events and conferences. ARCHITECTURE It is not known whether the current facade was completely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1693 or the today’s facade is the original Read more [...]
The Church of San Giacomo Apostolo (Saint James the Apostle) is a church in Ragusa, located inside the Hyblean Garden (Giardino Ibleo), in the eastern part of Ragusa Ibla, the ancient center of the city. SHORT HISTORY The church was built in the 13th or 14th century, probably between 1283 and 1392, by the will of the Chiaramonte family – the Aragonese eagle above the high altar indicates that period. The Confraternity of San Giacomo was associated with the church from the beginning, taking care of its services and functions. Before 1693, the church had three naves, but the earthquake of that year ruined it, and a few years later, the confraternity decided to rebuild it with only one nave. The roof of the church was added in 1705 and, between 1719 and 1720, the interior was decorated with several paintings by Giuseppe Pugliarello and Filippo De Stefano. In 1734, the master Simone Ventura of Chiaramonte was comissioned to realize the decoration of the wooden roof. The current facade was built in 1902 by Giuseppe Pinelli. Today, the church is administered by the same Confraternity of Saint James. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade has three orders, of which Read more [...]
Giardino Ibleo is a public garden located on the eastern limit of Ragusa Ibla, the ancient part of Ragusa, overlooking the valley of the Irminio river. SHORT HISTORY Until the early 19th century, the area of the garden was a deserted enclosure, with only some ruins of the Cathedral of San Giorgio, collapsed during the earthquake of 1693. The garden was built in 1858, on the initiative of some local nobles and a large part of the population, who worked for free for its contruction. A fence was added in June, 1907. On that occasion, the entrance to the garden was moved to its current position. DESCRIPTION The garden rises on a spur of rock, at an altitude of 385 meters, and occupies a surface area of about 15,800 square meters, with a perimeter of about 600 meters. Giardino Ibleo is characterized by the interesting coexistence of plants and trees with beautiful fountains and remarkable buldings, such as the monumental churches of San Vincenzo Ferreri, San Giacomo Apostolo and Sant’Agata, and the Capuchin convent located in the southeastern corner of the garden. In the garden, it is possible to distinguish approximately three areas corresponding to the different phases Read more [...]
The Church of Santa Maria delle Scale (Saint Mary of the Steps) is another Baroque church in Ragusa, located at the border between the modern part of the town, Ragusa Superiore, and the ancient center of the city, Ragusa Ibla. The name of the church derives from its location, at the end of the 340 steps that link the two districts of the city. SHORT HISTORY The church dates back to the Norman period, when it was called Santa Maria delle Cateratte, because it stood on the edge of a ravine. In the 14th century, it was rebuilt in Gothic style by the Cistercian monks of the Abbey of Santa Maria di Roccadia in Lentini and, after the earthquake of 1693, which caused the central and left aisles to collapse, it was rebuilt in Baroque style. After the earthquake, during the rebuilding, the orientation of the church was changed by 90 degrees, and the primitive apses were transformed into the current portals of the right aisle. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The church has three naves and no apse, and the left side portal is actually the original main entrance. On the counterfacade, there is a fresco of San Biagio, Read more [...]
The Church of the Holy Souls in Purgatory (Chiesa delle Santissime Anime del Purgatorio) is a Baroque church located in Ragusa Ibla, the historical center of Ragusa. SHORT HISTORY The church was built on the initiative of the Mazza family in the second half of the 17th century, dedicated to all the Saints and the Souls of Purgatory, and opened for worship on May 6, 1658. It was one of the few churches in Ragusa to withstand the earthquake of 1693, an event which caused around 5,000 deaths and destroyed almost entirely the ancient center of the city. In 1729, the church and the whole neighborhood came under the jurisdiction of the Church of San Giorgio. The bell tower was built in the first quarter of the 18th century, separated from the church, and placed above a stretch of the ancient Byzantine walls of Ragusa. In 1740, due to its small size, the church was rebuilt with a basilica plan with three naves, two chapels and a large presbytery with an apse. In 1757, the facade was finished, but the church was reopened for worship only in 1787, after the completion of the works in the presbytery area. Read more [...]
Lido di San Giovanni is the main beach of Alghero, located north of the town, close to its historical center, offering beautiful views of the promontory of Capo Caccia. The beach, part of the wonderful Riviera del Corallo, is about 1.4 kilometers in lenght, with soft, golden sand, and shallow, clear turqoise waters, perfect for families with children and ideal for snorkelling. On the Lido di San Giovanni Beach you will find free areas (spiaggia libera), but also establishments which rent sun beds and umbrellas, and provide changing rooms and showers. The beach is bordered to the east by a beautiful promenade delimited by rows of palm trees. Here, along Via Lido, you can find many hotels, bars and restaurants for all tastes. HOW TO GET THERE You can reach the beach, located north of the historical center of Alghero, with one of the bus Lines AF, AP and ALFA, getting off at the Chiesa San Giovanni bus stop.
Le Sirenuse is a wonderful 5-Star hotel in Positano, located about 400 meters away from the Marina Grande Beach. The hotel features an oyster bar, a Michelin-starred restaurant and elegant rooms with a private balcony. There are also a free swimming pool and a fitness center. The rooms have a white-themed décor and offer beautiful sea views. Each rooms is air conditioned and offers a satellite flat-screen TV and a fully equipped private bathroom with a large spa bath and soft slippers. The hotel’s wellness center is completed with a sauna and a hammam. The property can arrange boat rental on request, between May and September. HOW TO GET THERE Le Sirenuse is located in Via Cristoforo Colombo, about 300 meters away from the Sita Sud bus stop. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Villa Boheme Exclusive Luxury Suites is a condo hotel which offers accommodation on a hillside location in Positano, about 600 meters away from the Marina Grande Beach. All suites of the property come with bright furnishings and include a private terrace with panoramic views, air conditioning and a private bathroom with a hairdryer. Apartments also offer a fully equipped kitchenette and free WiFi is available throughout. HOW TO GET THERE Villa Boheme Exclusive Luxury Suites is located about 140 meters away from the Sita Sud bus station, which makes the connection between Sorrento and the towns on the Amalfi Coast. To find the property on foot, use the map below.
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta is a beautiful church in Positano, famous for the 12th century Byzantine icon known as the Madonna di Positano. SHORT HISTORY The history of the Church of Santa Maria Assunta is linked to that of the Benedictine Monastery of Santa Maria, which according to tradition was built in the 12th century, on the occasion of the arrival in Positano of the Byzantine icon of the Madonna. However, the monastery was founded earlier, in the second half of the 10th century, and was mentioned for the first time in a manuscript dated back to the end of the 11th century. The monastery was renowed until the middle of the 15th century, when the monks, perhaps frightened by the raids of the pirates from Cilento, abandoned it. After a few years, the church was entrusted to the commendatory abbot Nicola Miroballi, later elected archbishop of Amalfi. With some exceptions, the period of the commendatory abbots was disastrous for the church. The architectural traces of the monastery were gradually lost, while the church deteriorated profoundly. In the early years of the 17th century, the church was subjected to a reconstruction comissioned by the abbot Pirro Giovanni Read more [...]
Torre Trasita is a circular tower located on a rocky cliff in Positano, between the Fornillo Beach and the Marina Grande Beach, part of the defensive system built in the Middle Ages to defend the entire Amalfi Coast against pirates. The first information about the watchtower date back to the 16th century, the period of the Viceroys of Naples. In 1817, the tower was put on sale and, starting with that time, it was privately owned. In recent years, Torre Trasita underwent various transformations, and is now a beautiful guesthouse, which features a terrace with views over the sea, town and the Marina Grande Beach. At the guesthouse, all the rooms come with a wardrobe, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. Every room is fitted with a kettle, while selected rooms come with a kitchen with a dishwasher, a microwave and a toaster. HOW TO GET THERE Torre Trasita is about 270 meters away from the Marina Grande Beach, and about 1 kilometer from the Sita Sud bus stop located at the croassroads of Via Cristoforo Colombo and Via Guglielmo Marconi. To find the tower on foot, use the map below.
Marina Grande Beach, known in Italian as Spiaggia Grande (Large Beach), is the main beach of Positano, located southeast of the town. The beach is about 300 meters in lenght and about 50 meters in width, and is one of the liveliest and most cosmopolitan beaches on the Amalfi Coast. Marina Grande has two bathing establishments, which rent sun beds and umbrellas and provide changing rooms and showers, and a free area (spiaggia libera) in the middle. From here, you can rent a boat to Capri or to visit the nearby coves. At the northern edge of the beach, there are restaurants, bars and cafés, and at the eastern limit you can find the famous night club Music On the Rocks. HOW TO GET THERE The beach is about 700 meters away from the Sita Sud bus stop located at the crossroads of Via Cristoforo Colombo and Via Guglielmo Marconi. Although the beach is not hard to find, if you need directions, use the map below.
Hotel Stella is a 3-Star hotel in Rapallo, located in a building dating from the beginning of the 20th century, a short walk from the beach and the harbor. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi connection and has a terrace with a wonderful panoramic view. On the terrace, during the summer, you can find sun beds and deck chairs. On the ground floor, open 24 hours a day, you can find a bar where you can enjoy a glass of wine, soft drinks or a Cappuccino. HOW TO GET THERE Hotel Stella is located about 600 meters from the Rapallo railway station. The closet bus stop is Anagrafe, located about 70 meters away, on the bus Lines 7, 73 and 98. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Best Western Plus Tigullio Royal is a 4-Star hotel in Rapallo, located near the promenade Vittorio Veneto and the sea, and about 450 meters away from the Castello sul Mare. All the rooms are air-conditioned and come with an LCD TV, a mini-bar and a tea/coffee maker. Some rooms have a private balcony and some have a partial or full sea view. A generous buffet is served each morning, and it can be enjoyed on the sea-view terrace, if the weather is fine. Guests can also relax with a drink in the bar, or in the wellness area. HOW TO GET THERE Best Western Plus Tigullio Royal is located about 400 meters from the Rapallo train station. The closest bus stop is Bar Sport, located about 170 meters away, on the bus Lines 7 and 73. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Albergo La Piazzetta is a 2-Star hotel in Rapallo, located about 120 meters from the waterfront Vittorio Veneto and about 200 meters from Piazza Martiri per la Libertà and Chiosco della Musica. The hotel offers rooms equipped with air conditioning, TV and a private bathroom. Free WiFi is available on the property and each morning you can enjoy a buffet breakfast rich in desserts and homemade cakes. HOW TO GET THERE Albergo La Piazzetta is located 300 meters from the Rapallo railway station. The closest bus station is Bar Stop, located about 70 meters away, on the bus Lines 7 and 73. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Castello di Punta Pagana is a castle located on the promontory of Punta Pagana, inside the private garden of Villa Spinola, in Rapallo. Together with the 16th-century Castle of Santa Margherita Ligure, located to the west, and the Castle-on-the-Sea from Rapallo, to the east, Castello di Punta Pagana it was part of a defense system built by the Republic of Genoa for the protection of the coast and villages on the western part of the Gulf of Tigullio. SHORT HISTORY The construction work of the fortress started in April 1625, comissioned by the Republic of Genoa and the municipalities of Rapallo, Recco, Chiavari, Moneglia and Sestri Levante. The structure became necessary due to the open hostility between the Genoese republic and Carlo Emanuele I of Savoy, Duke of Savoy, and for the fear of a possible attack by sea. The works were carried out quickly and, by December 1625, the structure was almost finished. In 1627, the moat with the drawbridge was completed and three years later, on July 1631, the fortress was placed under the service of the Republic of Genoa. Although the fortress was equipped with weapons, ammunition and gunpowder necessary for a sudden attack, it never Read more [...]
Chiosco della Musica (Music Kiosk) is a beautiful monument in Rapallo, built in Art Nouveau style and dedicated to the most important Italian and foreign composers in history. SHORT HISTORY At the beginning of the 20th century, the Italian immigrants of Rapallo in Latin America, desired the kiosk as a gift to the town they came from. The monument, 10 meters in diameter and 9 meters in height, with 12 columns supporting the dome, was designed by the architect Luigi Devoto and inaugurated on November 3, 1929. Inside the dome, work of the painter Giovanni Grifo, are depicted the following composers: Giuseppe Verdi, Gioachino Rossini, Vincenzo Bellini, Arrigo Boito, Ludwig van Beethoven, Daniel Auber, Giacomo Meyerbeer, Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Hector Berlioz and Christoph Willibald Gluck on the stalls; Johann Sebastian Bach, Gaspare Spontini, Giovanni Battista Pergolesi, Domenico Cimarosa, Georges Bizet, Amilcare Ponchielli, Charles Gounod, Gaetano Donizetti, Claudio Monteverdi, Georg Friedrich Handel, Franz Joseph Haydn and Giacomo Puccini in the medallions of the arches. Between the winter of 2009 and the spring of 2011, restoration work were carried out on the structure. The roof and the balustrades were renovated and the pictorial decorations were refreshed. On Read more [...]
Castello sul Mare (Castle-on-the-Sea) is a small castle in Rapallo, located on the waterfront Vittorio Veneto. The castle is the symbol of the town and was declared a national monument by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage. SHORT HISTORY The decision to build a castle for defensive purposes was taken after the events of July 4, 1549, when Rapallo suffered the assault of the Turkish pirate Dragut, who looted the town and kidnapped 22 young girls. The building, based on a design by Antonio de Càrabo, was begun in 1550, and the works were completed one year later. With the construction of the Castle of Rapallo, the entire western area of the Gulf of Tigullio was completed with a defensive system, which included also the castles of Portofino, Paraggi, Santa Margherita Ligure and the nearby Punta Pagana. The new mayor of Rapallo, Benedetto Fieschi Raggio, was able to inaugurate the castle on May 10, 1551, and asked the Genoese Senate for the necessary artillery to defend the castle. In the following years, the castle was modified several times, expanding its structure. In 1608, it became the seat of the captainship of Rapallo. Here, the captain had his office, while in Read more [...]
Nana Aristova Jewels is a jewelry store in Palermo, located in the historical center of the city, a few meters away from the Quattro Canti Square and the Pretoria Fountain. Nana Aristova jewels can be worn every day. The designs are original and aim to inspire confidence and femininity in all women wearing them. Bracelets, necklaces, rings and earrings are handcrafted using materials such as 925 silver, gold vermeil and high quality gemstones. The artisans create each piece with love and according to antique techniques, resulting in beautiful and unique jewelry. HOW TO GET THERE Nana Aristova shop is located on Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 314. The closest bus stop is Fontana Pretoria, located about 170 meters away, in Via Maqueda, on the bus Line Arancione.
Tre Erre Ceramiche creates artistic ceramics entirely by hand in Palermo, since 1979. The company was founded by the Raffa husbands in Palermo, in 1979. Since 1990, sons and daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Raffa help their parents in the management of the company. Today, Tre Erre Ceramiche is a point of reference for lovers of majolica art. In every work they make, you can find the Sicilian tradition and the sunny culture of Sicily. HOW TO GET THERE The shop is located in Via Roma, 358. The closest bus stop is Cavour-Prefettura, located about 100 meters away, on the bus Lines 103, 134, 812 and Arancione. To find the shop on foot, use the map below.
Palazzo della Regione Liguria is a palace in Genoa, located in Piazza De Ferrari, between the Palazzo Ducale and the Palazzo della Borsa. Today, the palace is the headquarters of the Regional Council of Liguria. SHORT HISTORY In 1908, the engineer Cesare Gamba bought the area near the Church of Sant’Ambrogio. In 1912, he presented to the Municipality the project of a building adjacent to the church, which sparked some controversy. Two years later, in 1914, he presented a new project, but the negotiations, suspended during the First World War, resumed only in 1920, when Gamba decided to sell the area to the Company of Italian General Navigation. After a series of variations approved by the Municipality between 1921 and 1923, the final project designed by Gamba in collaboration with the engineer Giuseppe Tallero was completed in 1924 – a monumental palace in Neo-Mannerist style, with a tripartite facade on a portico with round arches. Currently, the building is the seat of the Regional Council of Liguria. HOW TO GET THERE Palazzo della Regione Liguria is located in Piazza De Ferrari. The closest Metro and bus station is De Ferrari, about 80 meters away. By bus, you can Read more [...]
Basilica della Santissima Annunziata del Vastato is a beautiful church in Genoa, located in Piazza della Nunziata, in the Prè district. The building is one of the most representative churches of the Genoese art of the late Mannerism and early Baroque of the 17th century. SHORT HISTORY In 1228, a community of Humiliati friars from Lombardy built on this place a convent and a small church dedicated to Santa Maria del Prato. In 1508, the convent and the church were assigned to the Conventual Franciscan friars from the Convent of San Francesco di Castelletto. The Franciscans started a new construction, better suited for their liturgical needs. Work began on July 20, 1520, when the first stone was laid. The church was built in late Gothic style to respect the artistic style of the mother church of the Franciscan Order, the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi. In 1537, the Conventuals left the church to return to the Convent of San Francesco di Castelletto, and the church passed to the Observant Franciscan friars, forced to leave the Convent of the Santissima Annunziata di Portoria. Following the dictates of the Council of Trent, the basilica was radically transformed beginning with 1591. The Read more [...]
The Church of Jesus and the Saints Ambrogio and Andrea is a Baroque church in Genoa, located in Piazza Matteotti, near the Palazzo Ducale and the Piazza De Ferrari. The church, belonging to the Jesuits from the 16th century, hosts works by the Flemish painter Peter Paul Rubens, the Italian artist Guido Reni and by the greatest authors of the Genoese Baroque. SHORT HISTORY The primitive church of Sant’Ambrogio dates back to the 6th century, when the Milanese clergy fled to Genoa, following the Lombard persecutions. The Genoese captivity of the Milanese bishops lasted until the middle of the 7th century, when the bishop Giovanni Bono (John the Good) returned to Milan. Around 1522, the old church passed into the hands of the Jesuits. In 1589, the Jesuits rebuilt the church to its current form, on a project by the architect Giuseppe Valeriano. The facade of the church was completely rebuilt in the second half of the 19th century. Completed in 1894, the facade included two statues of Sant’Ambrogio and Sant’Andrea, by Michele Ramognino. ART In the central nave and in the dome, we can find frescoes by the painter Giovanni Carlone and by his younger brother, Giovanni Read more [...]
Old Port Genova is a bed and breakfast in Genoa, located about 150 meters away from the Aquarium of Genoa. The B&B is dedicated to people who want to experience the luxury and all the comforts of a 4-Star hotel, but in a cozy and friendly atmosphere. The B&B features free WiFi and an Italian breakfast is available each morning at the property. HOW TO GET THERE Old Port Genova is located about 950 meters away from the Genova Piazza Principe railway station. The closest Metro stop is Darsena, located about 280 meters away.
Grand Hotel Savoia is a 5-Star hotel in Genoa, located opposite to Genova Piazza Principe train station and about 1 kilometer from the Aquarium of Genoa. Built in 1897, the Grand Hotel Savoia is among the oldest hotels in Italy. Over time, the hotel welcomed some of the most illustrious international politicians, actors and musicians. At the Grand Hotel Savoia, each room is unique, evoking a journey across the open seas. All the rooms are embellished with marble and glass mosaics combined with the warm elegance of the parquet flooring. The hotel features a fitness area and a small wellness center, which includes a sauna, a large hot tub and aromatherapy showers. HOW TO GET THERE The hotel is located about 120 meters away from the Genova Piazza Principe railway station. The closest Metro stop is Principe, located about 350 meters away.
Hotel Palazzo Grillo is a 4-Star hotel in Genoa, located in a historical building, about 450 meters away from the Aquarium of Genoa. Built in 1545 by the will of Domenico Grillo, Palazzo Grillo was abandoned over the last few decades. Starting with 2011, the palace was renovated and transformed into a beautiful hotel. Hotel Palazzo Grillo offers 25 rooms. Each room is distinguished by a modern, comfortable style with an interesting design. The rooms feature free WiFi, air conditioning, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom fitted with a shower and a bidet. HOW TO GET THERE Hotel Palazzo Grillo is located about 1.2 kilometers away from the Genova Piazza Principe railway station. The closest Metro stop is San Giorgio, located about 270 meters away.
The Church of Santa Chiara is a church located in Bogliasco, in Via Giuseppe Mazzini, dedicated to the Saint Clare of Assisi. Saint Clare of Assisi is one of the first followers of Saint Francis of Assisi. She founded the Order of Poor Ladies, known today as the Order of Poor Clares, a religious order for women, in the Franciscan tradition. SHORT HISTORY The local confraternity, devoted to Santa Chiara, was founded in 1403. The existence and works of the congregation are mentioned in numerous documents dated back to the 16th century. In a document dated 1582, the visit of Monsignor Francesco Bossi is attested, where the condition of the church and its furnishings was verified. The church was completely rebuilt and enlarged in the first half of the 17th century. ART Inside, we can find a wooden crucifix from 1712 by the sculptor Giovanni Battista Maragliano, son of the famous Baroque sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano. The crucifix was restored in 1988. Another interesting work of art is the large altarpiece depicting Saint Roch with Saint Pantaleone and Saint Firmina, dated 1759, of an unknown painter. Another valuable painting inside the church is the one depicting Saint Clare Read more [...]
Casa Mare is an apartment in Bogliasco, located in Via Emanuele Pontiroli, about 700 meters away from the main beach of the town. Casa Mare can accommodate up to 4 people. The apartment features a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, free WiFi, a well-equipped kitchen with an oven and a microwave, and 1 bathroom with a bath and bidet. Private parking is available at Casa Mare. HOW TO GET THERE Casa Mare is located about 300 meters away from the Bogliasco train station. To find the apartment on foot, use the map below.
My Sweet Home is a two-room apartment in Bogliasco, located in Via Guglielmo Marconi, about 350 meters away from the main beach of the town. My Sweet Home, completely renovated in July 2017, can accommodate up to 4 people. The apartment features a bedroom with a double bed and a large wardrobe, a living room eqquipped with a double sofa bed, a kitchenette with a fridge, oven and microwave, and a bathroom with shower. The building has also a lovely private garden, where you can enjoy splendid evenings in absolute relaxation. HOW TO GET THERE My Sweet Home is located about 600 meters away from the Bogliasco railway station. To find the apartment on foot, use the map below.
La Mansarda Sul Mare is an apartment in Bogliasco, located in Via Giuseppe Mazzini, about 30 meters away from the main beach of the town. The apartment was completely renovated in 2016, and comes with a kitchen, a seating area and a bathroom. The apartment offers air conditioning, free WiFi and a flat-screen TV. From its terrace, you can enjoy a breathtaking view of Bogliasco. HOW TO GET THERE La Mansarda Sul Mare is located about 500 meters away from the Bogliasco train station. To find the apartment on foot, use the map below.
The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Chiesa della Natività di Maria Santissima) is a church located in Via Ammiraglio Giovanni Bettolo, in Bogliasco. SHORT HISTORY A church dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary existed in Bogliasco Alto since the 12th century. The church was mentioned for the first time in a document dated December 3, 1182. The church was elevated to the title of parish in 1576. During the 17th century, various restoration works were carried out on the ancient religious building. The decision to build a new church in Bogliasco Basso was taken in the first half of the 18th century, and the design of the architect Giovanni Antonio Ricca was chosen. The works were started in 1731 and, by 1736, all the side altars were completed. One year later, in 1737, the entire building was finished. The church was consecrated on October 12, 1794, by the Archbishop of Genoa Giovanni Lercari. During the 19th century, the church underwent some restoration works, such as the frescoing of the vault in 1884 by the painter Virginio Grana and the changing of the wooden choir in 1742 by Andrea Bocciardo. ART The Read more [...]
The Sanctuary of Nostra Signora delle Grazie is a small chapel located in Via Giuseppe Mazzini, in Bogliasco, dedicated to Our Lady of Grace. SHORT HISTORY The chapel was probably built right after the terrible plague that struck the entire region of Liguria in 1657. A text from 1685 signed by a parish priest confirmed that the sanctuary already existed at that time. Following the construction of a new provincial road in the vicinity, the chapel was rebuilt in 1817 in its current position. On April 26, 1925, a new building was inaugurated here, on a project by the engineer Pietro Luxoro. On this occasion, a new altar donated by the Bigatti family was added in the chapel. ART Inside, the sanctuary preserves a painting on wood of an unknown author depicting the Virgin Mary. The chapel also has a substantial collection of votive offerings donated by believers, including four paintings by Domenico Gavarrone, two by Berto Ferrari and one by Piero Bozzo. HOW TO GET THERE The sanctuary is located about 700 meters away from the Bogliasco train station, or about 12 minutes on foot. To find the chapel easily, use the map below.
The Church of San Fedele is a church located in the heart of Milan, between Palazzo Marino and the Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery. The church was built in the 16th century by the will of the archbishop Carlo Borromeo, to house the Society of Jesus, and is dedicated to Saint Fidelis of Como. SHORT HISTORY An ancient church located on this place and dedicated to St. Fidelis of Como is mentioned in a bull of Pope Eugene III of 1147. In 1567, the structure was entrusted to the Jesuits, shortly after their arrival in Milan. The Jesuits started some restoration and enlargement works. In 1569, the archbishop Carlo Borromeo entrusted the construction of a new church to the architect Pellegrino Tibaldi, who completed the building in 1579. The consecration of the church took place in the same year. After the suppression of the Jesuit Order in 1773, the church was entrusted to the priests from the nearby Church of Santa Maria alla Scala. After the demolition of Santa Maria alla Scala in 1776 to make room for the Teatro alla Scala, the Church of San Fedele took the title of Santa Maria alla Scala in San Fedele, and was Read more [...]
Casa Manzoni is a palace located in Via Gerolamo Morone, in Milan, famous for beeing the home of the writer Alessandro Manzoni from 1814 to his death. Alessandro Manzoni was an Italian writer, poet and playwright, who is considered one of the greatest Italian novelists of all time for his famous novel The Betrothed, the cornerstone of the Italian literature. SHORT HISTORY In 1813, three years after Alessandro Manzoni returned to Milan, together with his wife Enrichetta Blondel and his mother Giulia Beccaria, after a five-year experience in Paris, he bought a new house in Via Morone. Manzoni moved to his new home a few months later, starting a series of modernization works, including the reconstruction of the facade oriented towards the Piazza Belgioioso. The current appearance of the facade is owed to the architect Andrea Boni, who, in 1864, at the request of Manzoni, rebuilt the palace in Neo-Renaissance style. The facade, inspired by the Lombard Renaissance architecture, is composed of elaborate terracotta decorations. Above all, the portal and the balcony stand out. Until a few years ago, the Lombard Historical Society and the National Center of Manzoni Studies were housed in the building, on the ground floor. Read more [...]
The Church of the Abbey of Misericordia (Chiesa dell’Abbazia della Misericordia) is a church located in Venice, in the sestiere of Cannaregio, overlooking the small square with the same name. SHORT HISTORY A first church was built on this place in 936. In the 13th century, the church was completely rebuilt, abandoning the Byzantine structure and acquiring a Gothic style. Starting with that moment, the building was linked to the history of the Moro family, who became protectors of the church. At first, the church was named Santa Maria di Val Verde and its history was connected to the nearby Scuola Grande of Santa Maria della Misericordia, which was built at the beginning of the 14th century. In 1659, the facade of the church was rebuilt, as it appears on a plate on the right, at the expense of the patrician and philosopher Gasparo Moro. In 1806, after the suppression of the Scuola della Misericordia, the church was turned into a military warehouse. Rescued from the demolition, it was renovated by the abbot Pietro Pianton between 1825 and 1864. After his death, everything was sold and the church was closed. In 1891, the church was assigned by the patriarch Read more [...]
The Church of Madonna dell’Orto is a beautiful Gothic church located in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Venice. SHORT HISTORY The church was built by the religious congregation of Humiliati around the middle of the 14th century, and dedicated to God, to the Blessed Virgin and to Saint Christopher, the patron saint of travelers. Because of its weak foundations, the church underwent important restoration works in 1399. In 1414, the Council of Ten, one of the highest governing bodies of the Republic of Venice, granted the church the name of Madonna dell’Orto, which was already popular among the locals. The name came from a miraculous statue of the Madonna, brought to the church from a nearby garden (orto meaning garden in Italian). In 1462, the Humiliati were expelled by a decree of the same council, and the church was assigned to the congregation of the Canons Regular of San Giorgio in Alga, which was suppressed in 1668. The convent of the Madonna dell’Orto passed in 1669 to the Congregation of the Cistercian Monks, and in 1787 came under a public administration. In 1841, the Austrian government of Venice ordered a general restoration at its own expense. The restoration of Read more [...]
Palazzo Surian Bellotto is a palace with an impressive facade, located in Venice, in the sestiere of Cannaregio, overlooking the Canale di Cannaregio. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built by the Surian family in the 17th century, on a project attributed to the architect Giuseppe Sardi, who was also the author of the nearby Palazzo Savorgnan. At the end of the same century, the palace was ceded to the Bellottos. In the 18th century, it became the Venetian seat of the French embassy. During this period, the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau lived there. After the fall of the Republic of Venice, in the 19th century, the palace entered a long period of degradation, during which the sumptuous interiors and the beautiful decorations were irretrievably lost. Now, the palace is a private residence. ARCHITECTURE The best preserved and most important feature of Palazzo Surian is the large Baroque facade, which, with its four stories high, stands out above the neighboring buildings. The facade is asymmetrical, having the central axis shifted to the left. On the ground floor, there are two portals with curved masonry, inserted in an ashlar band. To the portals correspond, on the main floors, two pairs of Read more [...]
The Church of San Michele in Isola is a beautiful church dedicated to Saint Michael, located in Venice, on the island of San Michele, near the cemetery with the same name. SHORT HISTORY A first church was built on this place in 1221, but was destroyed by a fire in 1453. The current church dates back to the second half of the 15th century. More precisely, the church was built between 1468 and 1479 by the great architect Mauro Codussi, the same architect of the Church of San Zaccaria, the Vendramin Calergi Palace and the Clock Tower from the San Marco Square. In 1530, the architect Guglielmo Bergamasco built a hexagonal chapel to the left of the church, known as Cappella Emiliani. In 1560, the famous sculptor and architect Jacopo Sansovino renovated the church and the chapel. ARCHITECTURE The church has a tripartite facade divided by Ionic pilasters, with two superimposed levels. The lower one is characterized by a smooth ashlar, with a central portal with a triangular tympanum and two high arched windows in correspondence of the aisles. The upper level, included between the Ionic pilasters, has a large oculus, around which are arranged four polychrome marble Read more [...]
Palazzo Civran is a palace in Venice, located in the Cannaregio district, overlooking the Grand Canal, near the Fontego dei Tedeschi and the Rialto Bridge. SHORT HISTORY The Civran family owned the palazzo since the 14th century, when it was built in Gothic style. Currently, the building is state-owned and is home to the Guardia di Finanza. ARCHITECTURE The current appearance of the palace is the result of the last major restoration that took place in the first half of the 17th century, when the building was renovated in Late Renaissance style. The ground floor is built from ashlar blocks, having in the center a water portal with a round arch and a keystone with an anthropomorphic head. The mezzanine consists of four windows with small balconies with a metal railing. The main floor has a central single-lancet window similar to the water portal below, and two pairs of lateral single-lancet windows, all joined by a single continuous balcony. The second floor is formed by five equal single-lancet windows. All the windows of the first and second floors, except the central one of the piano nobile, are surmounted by triangular tympanums. HOW TO GET THERE The closest Read more [...]
Founded in the 9th century, the Church of San Giacomo dall’Orio is one of the oldest churches in Venice. The church, located in the Santa Croce district, in the Campo San Giacomo dall’Orio, is part of the same parish with the Church of San Stae and the Church of San Zan Degolà. SHORT HISTORY The church was erected in the 9th century and rebuilt in Byzantine style in 1225 by the noble families Badoer and Da Mula. Between the 15th and 16th centuries, the church was remodeled in Gothic style. From this church, the pilgrimages to Santiago di Compostela began, as evidenced by the image of a man carrying a shell placed on the bell tower. The tower dates back to 1225. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The interior is characterized by the coexistence of various architectural styles: the bell tower and the basilica plan with three naves belong to the Byzantine style, while the roof is Gothic and the decorations of the main altar and the central nave are Lombard. On the counter-facade, we can find the organ and, underneath, three 16th-century paintings attributable to Andrea Schiavone: Appeal of the Apostles, Dispute of Jesus with the doctors of the Read more [...]
Palazzo Soranzo Piovene is a beautiful palace in Venice, located in the Cannaregio district, overlooking the Grand Canal, between Palazzo Molin Erizzo and Palazzo Emo alla Maddalena. SHORT HISTORY The palace dates back to the early decades of the 16th century. The building was acquired by the Soranzo family and, in 1760, it passed to the Piovene family through the marriage between Cecilia Soranzo and Girolamo Piovene. Today, the palace is the seat of the Guardia di Finanza, which occupies the main floor and the mezzanine. The other part of the palazzo, built around a central courtyard, consists of private residences. ARCHITECTURE The project is traditionally attributed to the architect Sante Lombardo. The facade is characterized by two three-light windows, flanked on the right by two single windows and on the left by one. The windows are separated by four rectangular and two round decorations. Inside, the atrium and the staircase are remarkable. The palace is enriched by an internal courtyard with a well, on the back of which there is a second wing. The palace has also a garden. HOW TO GET THERE The palace is located about 450 meters away from the vaporetto stop of Read more [...]
Palazzo Molin Querini, also known as Palazzo Molin alla Maddalena, is a palace located in the Cannaregio district, in Venice, overlooking the Grand Canal at the point where it merges with the Rio della Maddalena. The palace is next to Palazzo Emo alla Maddalena. SHORT HISTORY Before passing to the Querini family, the palace belonged to the ancient Molin family, from which the Doge Francesco Molin was part. In the 18th century, in the palace lived another important member of the Molin family, the Bishop of Brescia Giovanni Molin. The last reconstruction of the palace dates back to the 18th century. ARCHITECTURE The palace presents a facade divided in two. On the left, there is the water portal, surmounted by a Palladian window (a Palladian window, or serliana, is an architectural element composed of a round arched central window, symmetrically flanked by two rectangular windows), and three separate windows. On the right, we can find two rectangular windows, facing the Rio della Maddalena. In addition to the ground floor and the main floor (piano nobile), there is also a mezzanine, an upper floor and an attic. The palace has a very small interior courtyard. HOW TO GET Read more [...]
Palazzo Emo alla Maddalena is a palace built in Baroque style in Venice, overlooking the Grand Canal, between Palazzo Molin Querini and Palazzo Soranzo Piovene. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built at the beginning of the 17th century, and aquired around 1616 by the Emo family, for the marriage of Alvise Emo with Eleonora Rodriguez of the Diego family. The palace was bought with a part of her dowry. Around the middle of the 18th century, the owners were Francesco and Gerolamo Emo, who completed around the same time the adjacent Molin Querini Palace. ARCHITECTURE The facade is divided into two parts, having a double orientation, both towards the Grand Canal and to the Rio della Maddalena. The facade is spread over four floors, presenting a ground floor, a mezzanine, a piano nobile and an attic. The expressive power of the facade is concentrated in the group consisting of the water portal and the overlying serliana (a serliana, or Palladian window, is an architectural element composed of a round arched central section, symmetrically flanked by two rectangular windows, surmounted by a lintel). On the main floor, there are also single windows, two on the right and three on Read more [...]
The Church of Sant’Alvise is a Gothic church in Venice, located in the Cannaregio district, overlooking the homonymous square. The church is dedicated to Saint Louis of Toulouse, a Neapolitan prince from the House of Anjou canonized in 1317, known in Venice as Sant’Alvise. SHORT HISTORY The church of Sant’Alvise was built in 1383, together with the nearby convent, by the noblewoman Antonia Venier, after the saint appeared to her in a dream. Later, Antonia Venier retired in the monastery, following the Augustinian rule. At the beginning of the 16th century, other Augustinian nuns were welcomed here, after they escaped from the territories affected by the War of the League of Cambrai. The church underwent a major reconstruction in the 17th century, which largely changed the interior. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The church is built in Gothic style, having a basilica plan. The facade, very simple, is delimited by six protruding pilasters, connected by ogival arches. The portal in Istrian stone is enriched by a statue of Sant’Alvise in marble, attributed to Bartolomeo Bon. The bell tower retained its original Gothic appearance of the 14th century. It was built in terracotta, with a pinecone cusp and spiers at the Read more [...]
The Church of Santa Maria di Nazareth, known locally as Chiesa degli Scalzi, is a wonderful church in Venice, located near the Santa Lucia railway station and the beautiful Ponte degli Scalzi. The church is the seat of the religious Order of the Discalced Carmelites (or the Barefoot Carmelites, scalzi meaning barefoot in Italian). SHORT HISTORY After the Discalced Carmelites settled in Venice in 1633, they asked the architect Baldassare Longhena to build a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The construction of the edifice began in 1656, funded by the Venetian diplomat Girolamo Cavazza, and was completed in 1689 by Giuseppe Pozzo, seven years after Longhena’s death. The church was consecrated in 1705 and the Order of the Discalced Carmelites used it together with the adjacent convent until the beginning of the 19th century. In 1810, they left the church, returning 30 years later, in 1840. The church of Santa Maria di Nazareth was restored between 1853 and 1862, while only a few years later, with the appearance of the Santa Lucia train station, the convent was demolished. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade of the church was built in Baroque style between 1672 and 1680 by the Read more [...]
The Church of San Rocco and San Francesco di Paola is a church in Pizzo, located at the northern limit of the historical center of the town. SHORT HISTORY In 1578, the plague hit Pizzo and, to put an end to the epidemic, the local people prayed to Saint Roch. The saint answered their prayers and the city was saved. The following year, to please the saint, the locals decided to build a church in his honor. The adjacent convent was built at the same time for the monks belonging to the Order of Minims, founded by Saint Francis of Paola. At the end of the 18th century, the religious orders were suppressed throughout Italy by Napoleon Bonaparte, including the Order of Minims who resided in the convent. In 1905, another earthquake seriously damaged the church, and the reconstruction works were completed only in 1930. In 2013, the church was dedicated to Saint Francis of Paola. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade of the church, painted in pale yellow, is 18 meters high, and is adjacent to a bell tower 23 meters high. The facade is decorated by a polychrome rosette, a tympanum and two niches in which are Read more [...]
Bellamana Beach is a small beach located in Pizzo, a few meters away from the historical center of the town. The beach is about 100 meters long and is situated in a small bay at the foot of the rock on which the Murat Castle magnificently stands. In the evening, the promenade around the beach, along the Lungomare Cristoforo Colombo, becomes a meeting point for young people, thanks to the numerous clubs, cafes and restaurants that populate the area. HOW TO GET THERE The Bellamana Beach is located about 1.3 kilometers away from the Pizzo railway station, or about 20 minutes on foot. To find the beach in no time, use the map below.