Gran Caffè Gambrinus is a historic coffee house in Naples, located in Via Chiaia, near the Piazza del Plebiscito. In the Gran Caffè Gambrinus’ art nouveau halls, the espresso coffee is brewed according to the old neapolitan recipe: dark, dense and hot. In recent years, the café has been enriched with tasty variations to the traditional espresso coffee: cream, chocolate, hazelnut and many other ingredients are combined with care and creativity to offer its guests an unforgettable taste experience. The Gran Caffè Gambrinus offers a vast assortment of typical neapolitan pastries and refined creations of chocolate, entirely homemade. Also, its laboratories are specialized in the production of ice cream. HOW TO GET THERE Gran Caffè Gambrinus is situated in the north corner of Piazza del Plebiscito. The closest bus station is Trieste E Trento, about 50 meters away, on the bus line E6, while the nearest subway station is Municipio, on the Metro Line 1, at about 500 meters away.
Facing Caffè Florian, we can find another old coffee house, Grancaffè Quadri. Located under the Procuratie Vecchie arcades, in the St. Mark’s Square, the second is with nothing inferior to the first. From Stendhal to Wagner, Proust and Woody Allen, Grancaffè Quadri has always been a lively place to stop for a coffee. Guests who enjoy the outdoor seating in St. Mark’s Square can select from a large illustrated menu featuring everything from Italian coffee drinks to cocktails made by resident barman Leonardo Cisotto, or breakfast pastries to Venetian bar snacks called cicchetti and gelato. A team of well-trained baristas tends to the coffee, while Leonardo Cisotto is in charge of the cocktails and wine service. SHORT HISTORY Before Grancaffè Quadri, it was Il Rimedio (The Remedy), opened in 1638, named so due to the fact that it served Malvasia wine, commonly believed to enliven both the body and spirit. On May 28, 1775, Giorgio Quadri, arrived in Venice from Corfu together with his wife Naxina in search of fortune. It was Naxina to suggest that they invest in a place that served “hot black water.” The couple purchased Il Rimedio and began serving Turkish coffee. In 1830, Caffè Read more [...]
Caffè Florian is more than just a café, and can rightfully be considered a tourist attraction in itself. Located under the Procuratie Nuove arcades, in the St. Mark’s Square, the world’s oldest café still in operation has been a silent witness, for almost three centuries, of the joys and excitement of Venice. Famous names have passed the threshold of this café over time, and if we were to mention just a few, we could start very well with Casanova, the famous conqueror of hearts, continuing with the playwrighter Carlo Goldoni, Lord Byron or the poet Goethe, with the writer and politician Chateaubriand, Charles Dickens, or Marcel Proust, to end triumphantly with Modigliani. SHORT HISTORY The café opened its doors for the first time on December 29, 1720, under the name of Alla Venezia Trionfante, and soon after that received the name of its first owner, Floriano Francesconi. By the middle of the 19th century, Caffè Florian remained in the possession of the Francesconi family, and then changed its owners several times. In 1858, the café was completely restored by Lodovico Cadorin, with the help of the best Venetian artists and artisans. Since 1985, the cafe hosts the Venice Biennale, Read more [...]