The church is also known as San Simeone Grande (large), to distinguish it from the nearby Church of San Simeone Piccolo (small), which before the 18th-century reconstruction was smaller.
The church was built in 967 at the behest of the Ghisi, Adoldi and Briosi families. Originally, it must have been a very modest structure, built of straw and wood. After a disastrous fire, it was rebuilt in stone in 1150, and made the parish church.
Between 1807 and 1810, under the Napoleonic rule, the church joined the parish of the nearby San Simeon Piccolo.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
It is believed that the facade of the church was designed in Neoclassical style by the Venetian architect Giorgio Massari in 1756.
The facade is simple, with two columns in Composite order dividing the central part of the structure from the two short lateral bodies, surmounted by two volutes that accompany the slope of the roof.
At the center of the facade, the portal opens between two pillars, with two large windows above and a dedication plaque between them. At the top of the facade, there is a tympanum surrounded by a large cornice, decorated with geometric motifs.
The interior, rebuilt at the beginning of the 18th century by the architect Domenico Margutti, has three naves delimited by columns. Inside, to the right of the entrance, is the Presentation at the Temple and the portraits of the donors, work of Jacopo Palma the Younger.
In the second altar of the left aisle, there is a painting by Jacopo Tintoretto, depicting The Last Supper, while the Annunciation, previously attributed to Palma the Younger, is recognized as a work by the painter Blanc from the 16th century.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Simeone Profeta is located about 300 meters away from the Santa Lucia railway station. The closest vaporetto stop is Riva de Biasio, about 210 meters away, on the waterbus Lines 1, 5.1 and 5.2.