The palace was built in the 16th century and underwent several renovations in the following centuries.
At the beginning of the 16th century, Bartolomeo d’Alviano lived there, great military leader of the Venetian Republic, who distinguished himself in the defence of the city against the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian.
In 1521, following the marriage of a daughter of Alvise Corner with Agostino Contarini, the palace passed to the Contarini family.
Around 1830, the palace was inherited by the Mocenigo family, who, in turn, sold the building in 1858 to Maria Dorotea Ulbricht. From her, Palazzo Cavalli passed to the Cavalieri family and later to the Ravenna family.
In the 19th century, it was the place where the American writer James Fenimore Cooper lived for a while.
Initially transformed into a hotel, the palace is now home to the Tide Forecast and Warning Center of the Municipality of Venice.
The facade of the palace, an example of Venetian Gothic style from the 16th century, is three stories high. The ground floor has two portals on a small foundation that overlooks the canal.
The two upper floors are embellished by two four-light windows with balustrades, flanked by three single lancet windows on each side.
A small attic with a terrace, dating back to a more recent era, is located on top of the building, in the central part, above the thin jagged cornice which runs across the entire length of the structure.
On the left side, the palace preserves an ancient wooden loggia, typical of the Venetian noble architecture, of which few examples survived.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Cavalli is located about 260 meters away from the Rialto Bridge. The closest waterbus station is Rialto, on the waterbus Lines 1 and 2.