The palace was commissioned by the Giustinian family, one of the most illustrious families of the Venetian patriciate, in the second half of the 15th century, in place of a pre-existing building, in which Lorenzo Giustinian, the first patriarch of Venice, lived in the first half of the century.
In the 17th century, the palace passed to the Morosini family. In 1820, the structure was transformed into Albergo all’Europa, which hosted, among others, famous people like Théophile Gautier, Marcel Proust and Giuseppe Verdi.
After being purchased by the Municipality of Venice, the building was completely restored, and today houses the offices of the Venice Biennale.
The large facade of the palace consists of four floors divided by string courses in Gothic style. Most of the openings are single-lancet windows with white stone frames on the brick surface.
On the ground floor, there is a round-arched portal flanked by two rectangular windows surmounted by tympana. Above the portal, on each floor, there is a four-light window with protruding balustrade.
The top of the facade, crossed by a serrated cornice, is completed by a long balustrade which hides a beautiful rooftop terrace.
Worth mentioning is also the presence of a serliana (an architectural element composed of an arched central section, symmetrically flanked by two rectangular windows) to the left of the palace.
HOW TO GET THERE
On foot, Ca’ Giustinian is located about 2.1 kilometers away from the Santa Lucia railway station. The closest vaporetto stop is San Marco Vallaresso, about 280 meters away, on the waterbus Line 1.
Find a place to stay