Palazzo Cavalli, also known as Palazzo Corner Martinengo, is a palace overlooking the Grand Canal, located in the sestiere of San Marco, in Venice. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built in the 16th century and underwent several renovations in the following centuries. At the beginning of the 16th century, Bartolomeo d’Alviano lived there, great military leader of the Venetian Republic, who distinguished himself in the defence of the city against the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian. In 1521, following the marriage of a daughter of Alvise Corner with Agostino Contarini, the palace passed to the Contarini family. Around 1830, the palace was inherited by the Mocenigo family, who, in turn, sold the building in 1858 to Maria Dorotea Ulbricht. From her, Palazzo Cavalli passed to the Cavalieri family and later to the Ravenna family. In the 19th century, it was the place where the American writer James Fenimore Cooper lived for a while. Initially transformed into a hotel, the palace is now home to the Tide Forecast and Warning Center of the Municipality of Venice. ARCHITECTURE The facade of the palace, an example of Venetian Gothic style from the 16th century, is three stories high. The ground floor has Read more [...]
The Church of Santa Maria del Rosario, commonly known as I Gesuati (the Jesuates), is a church located on the Fondamenta delle Zattere, in the sestiere of Dorsoduro, in Venice. The Gesuati name comes from the religious order of the Jesuates, suppressed in 1668, which possessed a large convent in the area, later bought by the Dominicans. SHORT HISTORY The Compagnia dei Poveri Gesuati (Company of the Poor Jesuates) was formed at the end of the 14th century, and in 1432 began the construction of the nearby Church of Santa Maria della Visitazione and of the adjacent convent. With the dissolution of the order, the complex passed to the Dominicans, who shortly after began the construction of a new larger church further along the Zattere. The church was built between 1726 and 1735 by the architect Giorgio Massari, with the collaboration of Giambattista Tiepolo and Gian Maria Morlaiter, and was consecrated on September 29, 1743, by the Patriarch Alvise Foscari. With the suppression of the religious orders in 1810, the church became a parish church. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The classical facade is divided into three parts by semi-columns with composite capitals and completed on the sides by composite Read more [...]
The Church of San Pietro di Castello is an important church in Venice, which, until 1807, it was the city’s cathedral. The church is located on the northeastern area of Venice, in the Castello sestiere, not far from the Arsenale. SHORT HISTORY As reported by the chronicler Giovanni Diacono, the building of the Church of San Pietro began around 822, and was completed nine years later, probably in 831. In 1120, a fire devastated the church, and a new larger structure was built, with a baptistery next to it dedicated to San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist), now lost. In 1451, with the suppression of the Patriarchate of Grado and the constitution of the Diocese of Castello of the Patriarchate of Venice, by the bull of Pope Nicholas V, the Basilica of Saint Peter became the new Cathedral of Venice. Between 1508 and 1524, the Patriarch Antonio Contarini decided to carry out restoration works on the ceiling, the vaults and the floor of the church. Between 1512 and 1526, the minor chapels were rebuilt and the decorations were redone. In 1558, the Patriarch Vienzo Diedo commissioned Andrea Palladio to rebuilt the facade and the interior of church. However, Read more [...]
The Merchant of Venice is a brand of perfumes which expresses the uniqueness of Venice, created by the Vidal Family, a family involved in the arts of perfumery for more than a century. The Merchant of Venice is a brand that has its conceptual origins in the ancient Art of Perfumery originated in Venice, and in its centuries old trade with the Orient. The line is inspired by the Mude, the maritime trade routes that covered a very large area from Asia to Africa. The Mude started from Venice and reached many different harbours, which were the exchange centers for raw materials and finished products. Through master craftsmen such as the Muschieri (perfumers) and the Saoneri (soap makers), new techniques of production were invented that made the Venetian perfumes and cosmetics highly sought after in all Europe. The prestige of the brand expresses itself by precious fragrances carried out by perfurmers who reinterprete the ancient recipes. The sophisticated creations are boxed in precious perfume bottles inspired by the millenary art of Venetian glass. HOW TO GET THERE The Merchant of Venice flagship store is located in the sestiere San Marco, in Campo San Fantin. The closest waterbus station is Read more [...]
Hotel A La Commedia is a 4-Star hotel in Venice, located in the sestiere San Marco, about 200 meters from the Rialto Bridge and 300 meters from the St. Mark’s Square. A La Commedia Hotel is set in a historic building, fully restored in 2006. Its terrace offers beautiful views of Venice. The hotel offers 35 rooms and suites distributed over 4 floors, with LCD TV with satellite channels and air conditioning. Wi-Fi is provided for free in the entire building. HOW TO GET THERE The closest waterbus station is Rialto, on the Lines 1 and 2, located about 130 meters away. To find the hotel on foot, use the map below.
Casa Filomena is an apartment in Ostuni, located in the southern area of the city. The apartment has 2 bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a dining area and 1 bathroom with a bidet and shower. A flat-screen TV with cable channels is available. The apartment offers air conditioning and free WiFi, and features a terrace. HOW TO GET THERE The apartment is located in Via Pietro Galvani, 21, about 800 meters south of the historical center of the city. To find it easily, use the map below.
Palazzo Stunis Charme B&B is a bed and breakfast located in Ostuni, about 800 meters south of the historical center of the city. Each room of the B&B is equiped with a private bathroom, and provides free WiFi, air conditioning and a flat-screen TV. A continental breakfast is available each morning at the bed and breakfast. HOW TO GET THERE Palazzo Stunis Charme B&B is located on the Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi, 255, in the southern part of Ostuni. To find it easily, use the map below.
Arcuève is a beautiful apartment in Ostuni, located south from the historical center of the city. The apartment is composed of a living room with dining area, a fully equipped kitchen and 2 bathrooms. The apartment features a terrace, free WiFi, air conditioning, flat-screen TV, and a 24-hour front desk. HOW TO GET THERE The apartment is located about 200 meters away from the southern limit of the old town of Ostuni. To find it easily, use the map below.
Dimora Terra Marique is an apartment located in the beautiful historic center of Ostuni, close to the main tourist attractions of the city. The apartment is equipped with a double bedroom, bathroom with shower, TV, air conditioning, WiFi and mini bar. HOW TO GET THERE The apartment is located in Via Gaetano Tanzarella Vitale, about 150 meters away from the Cathedral of Ostuni. To find it on foot, use the map below.
The Church of Santa Maria della Stella is a church in Ostuni, located in an interruption of the northern walls of the city. SHORT HISTORY In the first half of the 16th century, a poor widow, mother of three girls, took care every day, for a month, of an image of the Madonna painted in a niche in the wall of the city, located near a small gate called Porticella. Her gesture was gratified daily by a gift she found in the niche, a coin and a loaf of bread. The place soon became a destination for pilgrimages, and it was decided to build a small chapel in which to place the image of the Virgin. The structure was named, at first, Santa Maria della Porticella. In the last decades of the 16th century, the structure was expanded, and the new church changed its name to Santa Maria della Stella (Saint Mary of the Star). The local bourgeoisie was responsible for the decoration of the interior and for the private chapels of the church. Probably damaged by the earthquake of 1743, despite some interventions made in 1812, the church was closed for worship in 1835 and soon collapsed. Between Read more [...]
The Church of Santa Maria Vergine del Monte Carmelo, or shorter the Church of Carmine, is a beautiful church in Ostuni, located near the southeastern border of the historical center of the city. SHORT HISTORY The Carmelite Convent in Ostuni, dedicated to Santa Maria della Misericordia, was built in the second half of the 15th century outside the city walls. The convent had a simple, square-shaped form, with a garden in the middle. The adjacent church was built between 1590 and 1593 by the master masons Nicola Francesco de Marseglia and Matteo de Molendinis, assuming the title of Santa Maria del Monte Carmelo. Around the middle of the 17th century, the church had twelve chapels decorated by wealthy citizens, but in 1775 the chapels were reduced to six, plus two minor ones. In the first half of the 18th century, some renovation works were carried out by the architect Giuseppe Fasano, especially in the presbytery area and in the side chapels. In 1810, following the suppression of the Carmelite order in the Kingdom of Naples, the church was entrusted to the care of the Carmine confraternity, active since the 16th century. In 1819, the Carmelites returned to their home Read more [...]
The Cathedral of Ostuni, dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, is a beautiful church located on the highest hill of the city, right in the middle of the old town, in Piazza Beato Giovanni Paolo II. The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the 15th century, was declared a national monument in 1902. SHORT HISTORY Between 1228 and 1229, Frederick II of Swabia built here a Romanesque church, on the ruins of an Orthodox church erected prior to the year 1000. The construction of the Cathedral began after the earthquake of 1456, during the Episcopate of Nicola Arpone, and was completed in 1495. The church was radically transformed twice: in 1750, by the will of the Bishop Francesco Antonio Scoppa, and in 1898, on the behest of the Bishop Salvatore Palmieri. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade of the church, facing west, with Gothic elements, is divided into three parts by thin pilasters. The facade has its fulcrum in the large central rosette, in which the Christ is surrounded by seven cherubs. On the lunettes of the side entrances are the bas-reliefs of San Giovanni Battista, on the right, and of San Biagio, on the left. Read more [...]
The Spire of Sant’Oronzo is a column dedicated to Saint Orontius of Lecce, placed in the heart of Ostuni, between the main square of the city, Piazza della Libertà, and the small but beautiful square Piazza Sant’Oronzo. Saint Orontius, a Christian martyr, is venerated by the Roman Catholic Church, being considered the first Bishop of Lecce. Each year, a three-day festival is held in Ostuni between August 25 and 27, in his honor. SHORT HISTORY The Spire of Sant’Oronzo was built in 1771 by the architect Giuseppe Greco. The column is an ex-voto strongly desired by the faithful to thank the Saint, who protected the city from the plague and the famine in the 18th century. ARCHITECTURE The spire is about 20 meters in height and was built in Baroque style. The testimony of perennial devotion to the protector of the city is quoted in Latin on epigraphic plates, supported by angels and placed on the first order of the column, on each of the four faces. The next order is crowned by a beautiful balustrade, with four statues on its corners: San Biagio, Sant’Antonio da Padova, Sant’Irene and San Gregorio Armeno, all minor patrons of the city. Read more [...]
The Sanctuary of the Madonna della Grata is a small church that stands in a prominent position outside the historical center of Ostuni, surrounded by gardens, in a rural area known as Contrada Rosara. SHORT HISTORY The first documented information about a church in this place dates back to the beginning of the 18th century. The current church was built between 1896 and 1910 by the architect Gaetano Jurleo, who was also responsible for the facade of the Church of San Francesco d’Assisi. The sanctuary was solemnly consecrated by the Archbishop Tommaso Valeri on August 18, 1912. The old church was then demolished. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The Sanctuary of the Madonna della Grata was built on a natural cistern destined since ancient times to store water necessary for the irrigation of the nearby gardens. To date, this cistern is full of water, causing considerable damage to the church above. The symmetrical facade of the church is made up of two main parts: the base, characterized by the entrance portal and a plinth on which four Corinthian pilasters and four niches are set, and the upper part, characterized by a central semicircular window surmounted by the emblem with the Read more [...]
The Church of San Francesco d’Assisi is a beautiful church located in the main square of Ostuni, Piazza della Libertà, adjacent to the Palazzo di Città (Palace of the City). SHORT HISTORY The church was founded in 1304 by the Order of the Minor Friars, on a land donated by Philip I, Prince of Taranto. The friars took care of it for the next five centuries, and after the suppression of the religious orders in 1813, the church was given to the Archconfraternity of the Immaculate, which still manages it. In 1615, the Church of San Francesco d’Assisi underwent major transformations, being largely rebuilt. In the second half of the 18th century, the church was renovated under the direction of the master mason and sculptor Giuseppe Fasano, assisted by his son Carlo and by Nicolantonio Maldarella. The facade was designed in 1883 by the architect Gaetano Jurleo, to harmonize it with the adjacent facade of the Palazzo di Città, which today hosts the Town Hall. ARCHITECTURE The facade of the church is divided into two orders by a cornice. On the upper order, there is an atypical window of Romanesque inspiration. In the lower part, near the door, Read more [...]
The Church of San Biagio is a small church located on the homonymous street, at the nortwest limit of the Sasso Barisano, in Matera. SHORT HISTORY The church was built in 1642 and linked to the healing virtues of Saint Blaise, the Armenian saint martyred in 316 AD. The church is closed all year, but it opens on February 3, on the occasion of the Feast of San Biagio, whose cult in Matera could be related to the Armenian community gathered around the Benedictine Monastery of Santa Maria de Armenis. ARCHITECTURE The church is characterized by a very simple facade, which has two dome-shaped bell gables and a square window in the center, divided by a column. On both sides of the entrance door, there are two niches with the statues of Sant’Agata and Santa Lucia. TIP: In 2019, Matera will be the European Capital of Culture, and if you have not visited the city until now, the moment has come. To gain access to all events in the Matera 2019 official programme, don’t forget to buy the Matera 2019 Passport. HOW TO GET THERE The Church of San Biagio is located about 650 meters away from Read more [...]
Palazzo Lanfranchi is a palace built in the second half of the 17th century in Piazza Giovanni Pascoli, in Matera, which today houses the Museum of Medieval and Modern Art of Basilicata. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built between 1668 and 1672 by the Capuchin friar Francesco da Copertino, as a diocesan seminary, at the behest of the Archbishop of Matera, Vincenzo Lanfranchi. Built on a pre-existing convent of the Carmelites, whose order was suppressed in 1652, the palace was the seat of the city’s seminary until 1864. After the Unification of Italy, the building passed to the Piedmontese Government and became the seat of the Classical Lyceum and the National Boarding School. The palace housed the Lyceum until 1980. Later, it hosted the offices of the Superintendency for Artistic and Historical Heritage of Basilicata and, since 2003, it is the seat of the National Museum of Medieval and Modern Art of Basilicata. ARCHITECTURE The asymmetric facade of the palace is divided horizontally into two orders by a cornice. In the lower order, there are five niches in which we can see the statues of San Nicola, the Madonna del Carmine, San Filippo Neri, San Giacinto and San Read more [...]
The Church of Santa Maria di Idris is a rupestrian church in Matera, located near the Church of San Pietro Caveoso, dug in the large limestone rock of Monterrone, dominating from its height the entire Sasso Caveoso. SHORT HISTORY The church was built between the 14th and 15th centuries. The facade, made of tuff in the 15th century, was rebuilt following a collapse occurred in the same century. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The church presents an irregular plan, composed of a part carved into the rock and another one built. Next to the facade, there is a small bell gable. The interior of the church is completely different from the original structure, because of the continuous restorations made over the centuries due to the humidity. Numerous frescoes were detached to be subsequently restored, and today they are conserved at the Superintendence for the Historical and Artistic Heritage of Matera. On the 19th-century altar, built in 1807, there is a Madonna with Child painted in tempera, dating back to the 17th century. On the right, is the Conversion of Sant’Eustachio, the Holy Family and Sant’Antonio, all from the 17th century, and a Crucifixion with the city of Matera as a Read more [...]
Antica Torre di Iuso is a wonderful guesthouse in Matera, located in Via Duomo, about 90 meters from the Cathedral of Matera. Antica Torre di Iuso offers rooms equipped with a flat-screen TV with satellite channels. The rooms also have a coffee machine, a private bathroom and free WiFi, while certain rooms have a balcony and garden views. All guest rooms feature a seating area. An Italian breakfast is available every morning at the property. HOW TO GET THERE Antica Torre di Iuso is located about 750 meters away from the Matera Centrale train station. To find it easily, use the map below.
Alma Camere is a guesthouse in Matera, located about 400 meters away from the historical center of the city and the Sassi. The rooms of the guesthouse are all located on the ground floor, with private entrance from a private courtyard area. All the rooms are spacious, comfortable and well-furnished, with flat-screen TV, WiFi, comfortable beds with hypo-allergenic pillows and hand-crafted mattresses, bath towels and courtesy kit, private bathroom with shower and hairdryer. You can also find a private parking on site, fenced for the exclusive use of guests. HOW TO GET THERE Alma Camere is located about 350 meters away from the Matera Centrale railway station, or about 6 minutes on foot. To find the property in no time, use the map below.
Domus Gaia is a vacation home in Matera, located near the Church of Sant’Agostino and the northern limit of the Sasso Barisano. The accommodation offers free WiFi, air conditioning and panoramic views. The 3-bedroom vacation home includes 1 bathroom equipped with a bidet. There is also a seating area and a kitchen. A continental breakfast is served every morning at the property. HOW TO GET THERE Domus Gaia is located about 900 meters away from the Matera Centrale railway station, or about 15 minutes on foot. To find it in no time, use the map below.
Le Origini is a bed and breakfast in Matera, located close to the Church of Sant’Agostino, near the northern limit of the Sasso Barisano. The B&B offers an unforgettable experience in its underground suites. The rustic style of the rooms dug into the rock binds with the best comforts available today. Le Origini also offers rooms with panoramic views, where the warm wood of the ancient floor and the typical beige colour of the tuff are a perfect frame for the Sassi of Matera. Every morning, the bed and breakfast offers a delicious sweet and savoury buffet, rich in fresh local products, as well as a selection of fresh fruit and gluten free and lactose free products. HOW TO GET THERE Le Origini is located about 800 meters away from the Matera Centrale train station. To find it easily, use the map below.
The Church of Sant’Agostino is a church dedicated to Saint Augustine, in Matera. The church and the adjacent convent dominate the Sasso Barisano from a rocky spur. SHORT HISTORY The convent was built in 1592 by the monks belonging to the Order of Hermits of Saint Augustine on an ancient hypogeum dedicated to Saint William of Vercelli. The church, dedicated to Santa Maria delle Grazie, was built two years later, in 1594. In 1734, the entire complex was destroyed by an earthquake. Once restored, in 1747, the convent and the church became the General Chapter of the Augustinian Order. The church was consecrated in 1750 by the Archbishop Antonio Antinori. Over time, the convent was suppressed, and it was used as an army shelter, before becoming a prison and later a care home for the elderly. Today, is houses the Superintendence for Architectural and Environmental Heritage. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade of the church is dominated by the central portal, surmounted by a niche with the statue of Sant’Agostino. Above the cornice, there is a niche containing a statue of a bishop and, on both sides, the statues of San Paolo and San Pietro. Between the church and Read more [...]
Palazzo del Sedile (Palace of the Seat) is an ancient building located in the square with the same name, in Matera. SHORT HISTORY Palazzo del Sedile was built in 1540 by the Archbishop Saraceno and was used since then as the seat of the Municipality of Matera. The current structure is due to the expansion and renovation works carried out since 1759. The offices of the municipal administration were housed here until 1944, and then moved to the former Monastery of Santa Lucia, in Via Luigi la Vista. Since 1982, the offices are located in the current and modern Town Hall, located in Via Aldo Moro. In the last decades, the palace changed its use, becoming the main venue of the National Conservatory of Music dedicated to the composer Egidio Romualdo Duni. The underground levels of the building host since the early 80s a modern Auditorium with a capacity of about 450 seats. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The facade is characterized by a large entrance arch flanked symmetrically by two bell towers, one with a sundial and the other with a clock. The facade is adorned with six statues: two above the arch, in a central position, representing the Read more [...]
Piazza del Sedile is a square in Matera, located between Piazza Vittorio Veneto and Piazza Duomo, a transit place in your way to the Civita, the highest point in the city. SHORT HISTORY During the 14th century, the square was called Piazza Maggiore, and was the main hub of the town, housing the market, warehouses and shops. Around the middle of the 16th century, the square became a political and administrative center, with the governor’s offices, the prison and the municipal building known as Palazzo del Sedile (Palace of the Seat) located here. Today, the square plays a socio-economic-cultural role, dictated by the presence of numerous restaurants, bars and tourist attractions. ARCHITECTURE Piazza del Sedile has a well-defined geometric shape, derived from the layout of the palazzi that enclose it on all sides. The most interesting palace is, of course, the Palazzo del Sedile, located to the south of the square. From the Piazza del Sedile, you can access the nearby Sasso Barisano through the arch of St. Anthony that opens on the north side of the square, and Sasso Caveoso through Via Pennino, to the south of the square. TIP: In 2019, Matera will be the Read more [...]
The Church of San Francesco d’Assisi is a church built in Baroque style in the San Francesco Square, in Matera. The church is dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi, after the saint visited Matera in 1218. SHORT HISTORY The current church was built in the first half of the 13th century on the place of a hypogean church dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. The ancient church can still be accessed today through a trap door from the third chapel on the left. In the church can be found a fresco depicting the visit of Pope Urban II to Matera from 1093. The church was enlarged in the 15th century, and many transformations were subsequently made until the 18th century, when it assumed its current state, with the construction of the Baroque facade by the architects Vito Valentino and Tommaso Pennetta. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The Baroque facade houses three statues in the upper part, with the Virgin Mary in the center, and Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Anthony of Padua on the sides. The interior consists of a single nave, with side chapels and a beautiful painted ceiling. The nave ends with the quadrangular apse, introduced by Read more [...]
Castello Tramontano is an imposing castle located on the Lapillo Hill, overlooking the historical city center of Matera. SHORT HISTORY Although the new King of Naples, Ferdinand II, promised to the Materans that he will not give the town to another feudal lord, the Count Giovan Carlo Tramontano obtained Matera and the surrounding area in 1496. The castle, with a large central tower and two small ones on the sides, was built by the count, in Aragonese style, starting with 1501. In debt, the count collected numerous taxes from the population, and became unpopular to the people of Matera. For the construction of the castle were spent as many as 25,000 ducats, and this weighed even more on the population. Tired of the continuous abuses, some citizens murdered the tyrant on December 29, 1514, as he was leaving the Cathedral of Matera, in a street which was later eloquently called Via della Riscatto (Street of Redemption). The castle remained unfinished. Since 2008, the castle, together with the surrounding park, is undergoing restoration. HOW TO GET THERE Castello Tramontano is located about 550 meters away from the Matera Centrale railway station and about 300 meters from the Piazza Vittorio Read more [...]
Palace Hotel is a 4-star hotel in Bari, located about 250 meters away from the western edge of the historical center of the city, Bari Vecchia. Its 195 rooms, including 18 suites, are furnished with taste and care for details, and offer the best comforts. The hotel’s Terrazza Murat restaurant serves exquisite international cuisine. It is set on the roof garden, on the 7th floor, with wonderful views across Bari’s old town. Breakfast is a sweet and savoury buffet and includes local products. Hotel Palace includes a wide range of meeting rooms, a business center and a well-equipped gym. Free WiFi is provided in the rooms and public areas. The offer is completed with a covered garage of 150 parking spaces. HOW TO GET THERE The Palace Hotel is located about 1.3 kilometers away from the Bari Centrale train station. The closest bus station is in Piazza Massari, on the bus Lines 2/, 22, 27, 42 and 50, about 130 meters away.
B&B 62 Marinai is a bed and breakfast in Bari, located on the northern part of the Bari Vecchia (Old Bari), about 100 meters away from the Basilica di San Nicola. The Bed & Breakfast takes its name from the square where is located, precisely Piazzetta LXII Marinai (62 Sailors), dedicated to the protagonists of the famous translation of the relics of St. Nicholas. Recently renovated, the property offers three rooms, one on each floor, equipped with private bathroom, central heating, air conditioning, refrigerator, hairdryer, WiFi and digital TV. The rooms are furnished and finished in a sober style. On a comfortable terrace, there is the breakfast area, where guests can spend pleasant moments of relaxation in the warm southern sun. HOW TO GET THERE The B&B is located in Piazzetta LXII Marinai, about 1.6 kilometers away from the Bari Centrale railway station. To find it easily on the narrow streets of the historical center of Bari, use the map below.
La Muraglia is a B&B located in an ancient two-storey building in the historical center of Bari, about 250 meters away from the Basilica of San Nicholas. The Bed and Breakfast features 3 mini-apartments with private bathrooms, autonomous heating, air-conditioning, WiFi and satellite television. Each apartment is elegantly furnished with taste and simplicity, and each has at least one balcony. The terrace is equipped with lounge chairs and umbrellas, enabling and encouraging the guests to relax and enjoy an amazing view of the sea. HOW TO GET THERE La Muraglia is located in Str. Annunziata, in the northern part of the Bari Vecchia (Old Bari), about 2 kilometers away from the Bari Centrale railway station. To find it easily, use the map below.
Archita Guest House offers accommodation in a quiet area of Bari, in the Japigia district, close to the Pane e Pomodoro Beach, about 2.5 kilometers away from the historical center of the city. The apartment is on the second floor of a building located on Via Peucetia, which was completely renovated, with the addition of furniture and new equipment. The guest house has 3 large rooms: one double room and two single rooms, with shared bathroom, which can accommodate up to four people. In the apartment is available, free of charge, a fully equipped dining-room with kitchen, refrigerator, microwave oven, toaster and a large supply of pots, pans, plates, glasses and cups. The guest house offers air conditioning, free WiFi, flat screen TV and a washing machine. For guests, it is also available on request a free shuttle service from the Bari Centrale train station to the apartment. HOW TO GET THERE The closest train station is Bari Marconi, a 4-minute trip by train from the Bari Centrale train station. From the train station, you can walk about 450 meters on Viale Japigia and then about 200 meters on Via Archita. For the precise directions, use the map below. Read more [...]
Palazzo della Banca d’Italia is a palace in Bari, located on the Corso Cavour, between the Palazzo della Camera di Commercio and the Petruzzelli Theater. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built in 1926 after a design by the architect Accolti Gil, on an area of about three thousand square meters that previously housed the Mercato Coperto (Covered Market). The works lasted six years and the ribbon was cut in October, 1932. The offices of the Bank were transferred here from its original headquarters located in Via Cairoli. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The palace stands on four levels plus a basement. Valuable elements are the public lounge with its Art Nouveau windows, the large staircase leading to the vault and various bas-reliefs of Carrara marble. On the first floor, there can be found the Sala Consiliare (Council Hall), with its huge central chandelier, the fine coffered ceiling, and the director’s office, which still preserves the furniture of 1934. In the Council Hall, there is also a bronze bust depicting Vittorio Emanuele III, which was found only a few years ago in the basement of the building. Banca d’Italia also commissioned the construction of the fountain in front of the building, Read more [...]
Pane e Pomodoro Beach is a small beach in Bari, located on Lungomare Amando Perotti, about 2 kilometers away from the historical center of the city. The beach owes its name, Pane e Pomodoro (Bread and Tomato), to the habit of the people of Bari, when they were sunbathing, to eat simple bread seasoned with tomatoes. The sandy beach is flanked by a large green space equipped with benches and games for children. On the beach, you can find a bar, toilets and showers. In addition to the sandy shore for access to the sea, there are also wooden piers. HOW TO GET THERE Pane e Pomodoro Beach is located about 2.2 kilometers away from the Bari Centrale train station, or about 30 minutes on foot. Use the map below to find the beach in no time.
Piazza Mercantile is the most important square of Bari, the city’s commercial center since the 14th century, and today a location for cultural events. In the square, we can find the Palazzo del Sedile, with a 16th century clock tower on top, the Palazzo della Dogana, built probably in the 16th century by the Duchess of Milan, Isabella of Aragon, the stone lion, or Colonna infame, and the baroque fountain Fontana della Pigna. SHORT HISTORY Piazza Mercantile, located close to the Porto Vecchio, was home to the Municipality of Bari since at least the second half of the 15th century, when the Palazzo del Sedile was built. At the beginning of the 17th century, under the Sforzas, the area was subjected to a renewal program, after the event of 1601, when most of the buildings in the square were burned to the ground, including the Palazzo del Sedile and the city’s arsenal. The Palazzo del Sedile was rebuilt soon after the fire and embelished with a bell tower. At the beginning of the 19th century, after the municipal seat of the city moved from the Palazzo del Sedile in Via Palazzo di Città, Piazza Mercantile retained the role of Read more [...]
Palazzo della Provincia is a palace in Bari, part of the larger monumental transformation project of the Lungomare Nazario Sauro during the first decades of the 20th century, which hosts today the Pinacoteca Metropolitana di Bari Corrado Giaquinto (Painting Gallery of Metropolitan City of Bari). SHORT HISTORY The Provincial Administration commissioned the design of its definitive headquarters in 1930. The palace, completed in 1936, is the result of the collaboration of the best Apulian architects of the time, coordinated by Luigi Baffa. Severely damaged during the Second World War, today the building houses the offices and the council chamber of the Provincial Administration, the Painting Gallery of Metropolitan City of Bari and the Archives of the city. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The building is characterized by eclecticism that recalls the neo-medieval civil architecture. The palace presents itself as an irregular quadrilateral, alternating Trani stone and red bricks. At the center of the rusticated base, there are five large round arches that give access to a portico in two-color marble. Beyond the upper floors, stands a clock tower, an allusion to the bell tower of the Cathedral of San Sabino, also visible from the Lungomare Nazario Sauro. The clock tower Read more [...]
Palazzo del Sedile (Palace of the Seat), known also as the Palazzo dei Nobili, is a palace located in the historical center of Bari, in Piazza Mercantile. The palace, of which today only the facade remains, was once the Town Hall of the city. SHORT HISTORY The first documented information about a municipal office in Bari dates back to 1466, when the notary Giovanni de Lutiis mentioned a place in Piazza Mercantile, where the Municipality met to discuss the problems of the city. In 1601, a serious disaster occurred, originated from a small fire ignited in Piazza Mercantile, which spread very quickly to the buildings in the square and to the city’s arsenal, where gunpowder and weapons were kept. The explosion caused the death of over 60 people and ruined many buildings, including the municipal palace. In 1602, the palace was rebuilt by the Mayors Nicola Donato and Pietro Ponzo, as a plaque recalls, along with the arsenal and the city wall. In 1604, the Municipality built a small bell tower on top of the building and had a German-manufactured clock installed, which struck every quarter of an hour. The activity of the municipal seat ceased in the early Read more [...]
Porto Vecchio (Old Port) is a small port in Bari, located south-east of the Bari Vecchia, the historical center of the city, enclosed between the Pier of Sant’Antonio and Pier of San Nicola. Inside the port, there are two quays reserved for fishing boats, of 350 and 180 meters. It has 230 berths for boats up to 12 meters in length. The small port is among the most picturesque places in the city, due to the presence of colorful boats and a fish market. At the western edge of the port, we can find the Margherita Theater, and further to the north, on Lungomare Imperatore Augusto, the Fort of Saint Anthony the Abbot. HOW TO GET THERE Porto Vecchio is located about 1.1 kilometers away from the Bari Centrale railway station, at the northern end of Corso Cavour.
Fortino di Sant’Antonio Abate is a fort located on the eastern edge of the Bari Vecchia, the historical center of Bari, in front of the Pier of Sant’Antonio. SHORT HISTORY The fort was built for defensive purposes in 1440 on the remains of a tower from 1359. The fort was erected by the Prince of Taranto, Giovanni Antonio del Balzo Orsini, who left his coat of arms on the portal. After the death of the feudal lord, the fort was destroyed by the people of Bari, and then rebuilt between 1501 and 1524 by Isabella of Aragon, Duchess of Milan, and Bona Sforza, Queen of Poland, as part of the renewal of the defensive system of the city. Later, the fort was demilitarized and, in 1847, it was taken over by the Municipality. During the following years, the structure was neglected and continued to deteriorate, falling into a state of semi-ruin. The fort was later definitively restored by the Municipality, and today it can be admired in all its splendour. Its spaces are currently used for cultural events. ART A graceful wooden statue of the Saint Anthony the Abbot, also known as Saint Anthony the Great, to whom Read more [...]
The Cathedral of San Sabino is the cathedral of Bari, dedicated to Saint Sabinus of Canosa, whose relics were brought to the city in the 9th century. SHORT HISTORY In the first half of the 11th century, the Archbishop Bisanzio built a church on this ground, later completed by his successors Nicola I and Andrea II. This church was later destroyed by William I, called the Bad, during the destruction of the city from 1156. The current church, which dates back to the 12th and 13th centuries, was built by Archbishop Rainaldo on the ruins of the Byzantine cathedral, inspired by the style of the Basilica of San Nicola. For the work, materials from the previous church and from other destroyed buildings were used. The cathedral was consecrated on October 4, 1292. Starting with the 18th century, the building underwent a series of renovations, demolitions and additions. During those times, the facade, the interior of the naves, the interior of the ancient baptistery and the crypt were rebuilt in baroque forms on a design by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro. ARCHITECTURE The church is an important example of Apulian-Romanesque architecture. The simple facade is divided by two pilasters in three Read more [...]
Castello Normanno-Svevo (Norman-Swabian Castle) is an imposing fortress in Bari, located on the western edge of the Bari Vecchia (Old Bari), the historical center of the city. SHORT HISTORY The medieval fortification dates back to 1132. The castle was built at the behest of the Norman King Roger II, and was destroyed in 1156 by King William of Sicily, nicknamed the Bad, when he razed the entire city to the ground, except for some places of worship. The fortress was rebuilt in 1233, when the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II ordered its reinforcement. The castle underwent numerous transformations in the Angevin period, when Charles of Anjou carried out an extensive restoration involving the north wing of the castle, under the guidance of the architects Pietro d’Angicourt and Giovanni di Toul. Then, the castle became property of Duke Ferdinand of Aragon, who donated it later to the ducal Sforza family. The latter disposed the enlargement of the fortress, which shortly after passed into the hands of Bona Sforza, Queen of Poland, who died there in 1557. During this time, the castle underwent radical transformations to adapt to the new demands dictated by the development of heavy artillery. Later, the building Read more [...]
Teatro Margherita is one of the historic theaters of Bari, which currently is undergoing restoration. The theatre will soon be converted into a museum of contemporary art. SHORT HISTORY Teatro Margherita was built to replace the Varietà Margherita, a wooden theater inaugurated on September 5, 1910, which was the subject of violent criticism by both local entrepreneurs, who presented a similar project without obtaining authorization, and by the Petruzzelli family, the owners of the Petruzzelli Theater, which saw in it a potential competitor. The theater was built between 1912 and 1914 near the Old Port of Bari, on pillars, to escape the pact signed between the City of Bari and the Petruzzelli family, according to which the Municipality was committed not to build other theaters on the municipal ground. The Margherita Theater was designed in Art Nouveau style by Francesco De Giglio. He collaborated with Luigi Santarella to make the theater the first building in Bari in reinforced concrete, and unique in Europe for the particular construction on pillars. Being entirely surrounded by water, the theater was connected to the mainland by a pier. The inauguration of the theater took place on August 22, 1914. The theater was damaged Read more [...]
Teatro Petruzzelli is the largest theater in Bari and the fourth largest in Italy. Owned until the fire of 1991 by the Messeni Nemagna family, the theater is currently being disputed between the City of Bari and the previous owners. SHORT HISTORY In 1896, the traders and ship builders Onofrio and Antonio Petruzzelli, originating from Trieste, presented to the Municipality of Bari the project of a new theater by the architect Angelo Cicciomessere, husband of their sister, Maria. Their proposal was accepted and, two years later, in 1898, the work began, financed exclusively by the Petruzzelli family. The theater was frescoed by Raffaele Armenise and decorated in pure gold. Also, the theater was equipped with heating and electric light, and it had a capacity of 2,192 seats. The works were completed in 1903, and the theater was inaugurated on February 14, 1903, with Les Huguenots by the German opera composer Giacomo Meyerbeer. In addition to operas and ballets, important concerts were held at the Petruzzelli Theater. Over time, many great artists performed on its stage: Herbert von Karajan, Rudolf Nureyev, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Liza Minnelli and Luciano Pavarotti. On the night of October 27, 1991, the theater was Read more [...]
Petit Palais Hotel De Charme is a 4-Star hotel in Milan, located about 1 kilometer away from the Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of Milan. The suites come with period furniture, parquet floors and fine silk tapestry. They also feature modern comforts such as air conditioning and a satellite flat-screen TV. Inside the room, you will find a cosy bathrobe and slippers. The multilingual staff is available 24 hours a day, and can organise an airport shuttle service on request. HOW TO GET THERE The closest Metro station is Missori, located about 500 meters away from the hotel, on the Metro Line M3. The closest bus and tram station is Corso Italia Via Santa Sofia, located near the hotel, on the bus Line 94 and tram Line 15.
Hotel Romana Residence is a 4-Star hotel located in Milan, about 900 meters away from the Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of Milan. The hotel offers 66 spacious rooms and suites, with air conditioning, free WiFi, a TV and a private bathroom with free toiletries. Some rooms feature a kitchenette and garden views. Dry cleaning, room service and concierge ticketing service are available to all guests. The hotel offers an American breakfast in its beautiful breakfast room. HOW TO GET THERE The closest Metro station is Crocetta, located about 200 meters away, on the Metro Line M3. The closest tram station is Corso Porta Romana Via Santa Sofia, located about 60 meters away, on the tram Lines 12, 16 and 24.
Zurigo Hotel is a 3-Star hotel in Milan, located about 700 meters away from the Piazza del Duomo and the Cathedral of Milan. The Zurigo Hotel, with a long tradition in hospitality, is the perfect accommodation both for long or short stays. Refurbished in 2009, the hotel offers a pleasant mix of comfort, hospitality and quality services. The hotel offers 47 comfortable and cozy rooms. The rooms are equipped with all the comfort: air conditioning, modern and full accessorized bathrooms, direct line telephone, Smart TV with satellite channels, Wi-Fi connection, safe and room service on request. The rooms are available in single, double, triple, Standard and Superior version. Superior rooms, renovated in 2012, are now equipped with additional amenities, such as walk-in closet, desk and comfortable bathroom with Jacuzzi. HOW TO GET THERE The closest Metro station is Missori, about 220 meters away from the hotel, on the Metro Line M3. The closest tram station is Piazza Missori Corso Italia, located about 130 meters away, on the tram Line 15.
Hotel Galileo is a 4-star hotel in Milan, located about 400 meters away from the Piazza del Duomo and the magnificent Cathedral of Milan. The hotel offers 89 rooms spread over nine floors, including singles, twins, doubles, triples, suites and a VIP room. Although grand in size and style, the overall feel of Hotel Galileo is of intimacy, relaxation and comfort. Each room offers the maximum comfort and cleanliness. The rooms come with all the modern comforts, including air conditioning, mini bar, large bathrooms, direct-line telephones and satellite television. A free internet service is available at reception. HOW TO GET THERE The closest Metro station is San Babila, located in front of the hotel, on the Metro Line M1. The closest bus station is Cavallotti, near the hotel, on the bus Lines 54, 60, 73 and 84.
B&B Wanderlust is a bed and breakfast in Pisa, located about 1.2 kilometers away from the beautiful Piazza dei Miracoli and the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. At Wanderlust, each unit has a fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, oven, microwave, toaster, fridge and a little terrace. The B&B offers a continental or buffet breakfast. There is also an on-site restaurant, which serves a variety of Italian dishes. HOW TO GET THERE B&B Wanderlust is located about 1.8 kilometers away from the Pisa Centrale railway station and about 3 kilometers away from the Galileo Galilei Airport. The closest bus station is Buonarroti 3, located about 140 meters away, on the bus Lines 4, LAM Verde and Navetta E.
Palazzo Reale di Milano (Royal Palace of Milan), formerly Palazzo del Broletto Vecchio, was for many centuries the seat of the government of Milan and a royal residence until 1919, when it was acquired by the state, becoming a venue for exhibitions and events. Originally designed with a system of two courtyards, then partially demolished to make room for the Duomo, the palace is located to the right of the facade of the Cathedral of Milan, opposite to the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. SHORT HISTORY A former palace that stood on the same area in the late Middle Ages, the Broletto Vecchio, also called Brolo di Sant’Ambrogio, was the first documented seat of the Municipality of Milan. The palace, built before the 10th century, ended this function in 1251, when the municipal office was moved to the Palazzo della Ragione. Broletto Vecchio was then demolished, and in its place was built the Palazzo Reale, known at first as the Palazzo del Broletto Vecchio, recalling the name of the pre-existing building. Palazzo Reale became a political center during the lords of the Torriani, Visconti and Sforza families, taking later the role of Palazzo Ducale, the seat of the Duchy of Read more [...]
Piazza del Duomo is the main square of Milan, and its true commercial center for over seven centuries. The square is the vital center of the city, the meeting point of the Milanese to celebrate important events and, together with the adjacent Cathedral of Milan, a desired destination for tourists from all over the world. SHORT HISTORY The birth of the square can be traced back to Azzone Visconti, Lord of Milan from 1329 until his death, who, in order to create a useful space for mercantile activities, created the Arengo Square between the Churches of Santa Maria Maggiore and Santa Tecla. Gian Galeazzo Visconti, the first Duke of Milan, further enlarged the square, ordering the demolition of the bishop’s house in 1385 and the Baptistery of San Giovanni alle Fonti in 1387. In 1458, with the blessing of Pope Pius II, Francesco Sforza, the fourth Duke of Milan, obtained permission to demolish the Basilica of Santa Tecla to create a large square worthy of the Duomo, which, at that time, was under construction. In 1548, the architect Vincenzo Seregni created a new project for the Piazza del Duomo, but due to lack of funds, the only work that Read more [...]
Buatta is a restaurant born inside the famous Valigeria Quattrocchi, a historical leather shop located close to the cosmopolitan and joyful Vucciria market, in the heart of the Palermo city center. Buatta offers you a cuisine based on the Sicilian and Palermitan culinary traditions, with the exclusive use of local and seasonal ingredients, in order to create simple and authentic dishes with a few high quality raw materials. In the restaurant, you will discover amazing recipes born when art, knowledge and great cooking skills meet together, such as caponata, pasta with sardines, Sicilian cannoli and cassata. HOW TO GET THERE Buatta is located on the Via Vittorio Emanuele, 176, about 300 meters away from the Fontana Pretoria. The closest bus station is Vittorio Emanuele-Vucciria, about 80 meters away, which can be reached with the bus Line 103.