The church is called della Fontana (of the Fountain), because of a spring located nearby.
In 1532, a small oratory dedicated to the Virgin was built on this site by the Municipality of Malcesine.
At the beginning of the 17th century, the need for a larger church appeared. The new church was completed and opened for worship in 1626.
On July 25, 1797, the French of Napoleon Bonaparte closed the church, removed the registers and confiscated all the assets. In a state of neglect, the church was used as a warehouse during the First and the Second World War.
After it was restored in 1959, the church was reopened for worship, and today is used only on specific holydays.
The facade of the church is plain, covered with yellow plaster. In the lower part of the facade, delimited from the upper one by a stone strip, there is a beautiful Baroque portal, surmounted by a tympanum and a coat of arms, flanked on the sides by two rectangular windows.
In the upper half of the facade, a semi-round window opens, under which two long arched windows are placed. The facade ends with a cornice surmounted by a pediment and an iron cross.
The interior has a single nave, decorated in Baroque style. The high altar contains a painting of the Madonna of the Rosary, seated on a throne between Saint John the Baptist and Santa Eurosia.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of the Madonna della Fontana is located about 800 meters away from the Malcesine bus station. From there, you can take the ATV bus Line 484 to Garda, and then one of the buses 162, 163, 164, 165 to Verona.