The Church of the Madonna della Fontana is a church in Malcesine, located in Via Gardesana, about 1 kilometer away from Castello Scaligero. The church is called della Fontana (of the Fountain), because of a spring located nearby. SHORT HISTORY In 1532, a small oratory dedicated to the Virgin was built on this site by the Municipality of Malcesine. At the beginning of the 17th century, the need for a larger church appeared. The new church was completed and opened for worship in 1626. On July 25, 1797, the French of Napoleon Bonaparte closed the church, removed the registers and confiscated all the assets. In a state of neglect, the church was used as a warehouse during the First and the Second World War. After it was restored in 1959, the church was reopened for worship, and today is used only on specific holydays. ARCHITECTURE The facade of the church is plain, covered with yellow plaster. In the lower part of the facade, delimited from the upper one by a stone strip, there is a beautiful Baroque portal, surmounted by a tympanum and a coat of arms, flanked on the sides by two rectangular windows. In the upper Read more [...]
Italy has many churches, and all of them are beautiful and full of spectacular works of art. The main church of the city is referred as Il Duomo, but you will find churches that are named Basilica, Chiesa or Cattedrale, depending on their size and importance.
Some of the most beautiful churches in Italy are the Basilica di San Marco and the Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari in Venice, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and the Basilica di Santa Croce in Florence, the Basilica of Saint John Lateran in Rome, the Cathedral of the Nativity of Saint Mary and the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta in Orvieto and the Basilica of San Zeno Maggiore in Verona.