A fortress was probably built on this site in the 5th century by the Langobards. It was destroyed by the Franks in 590, and later rebuilt.
According to legend, in 806, the castle hosted King Pepin of Italy, who came to Malcesine to visit the Saints Benigno and Caro. After the Hungarian invasions, it became the property of the Bishop of Verona.
Between 1277 and 1387, Castello Scaligero was the residence of the Della Scala family of Milan. Later, it was occupied by the Visconti, another noble Milanese family, who lost ownership in 1403.
For the next ten years, the castle was at the center of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Venice and the German Empire. In May, 1513, the Republic of Venice conquered Malcesine, and the castle became a Venetian dominion.
In 1797, the castle passed to the French of Napoleon Bonaparte, and later to the Austrians.
The fortified tower of the castle stands at a height of about 70 meters above the lake level. The tower has five rooms, the upper one being known as the lookout room.
Inside the castle, we can find the Natural History Museum of Mount Baldo and the Garda Lake, the Fishing Museum, where ancient fishing gear is exhibited, and the Goethe Room, dedicated to the famous German writer and painter.
The Goethe Room is located in an ancient powder magazine, built during the Austrian domination. Here, are collected several works depicting the Castle of Malcesine and Lake Garda, which the poet visited on the occasion of his Grand Tour in Italy.
HOW TO GET THERE
Castello Scaligero is located about 350 meters away from the Malcesine bus station. From there, you can take the ATV bus Line 484 to Garda, and then one of the buses 162, 163, 164, 165 to Verona.