The palace was built around 1480 at the behest of Battista Magrè, on a piece of land belonging to the family, probably by the Vicentine architect Tommaso Formenton.
In 1552, the palace was bought by Giacomo Angaran, a friend of Andrea Palladio, who asked the architect to prepare a sumptuous invention to replace the existing building. Palladio designed the project, but it was never realized.
The last owner, Ottavio Angaran Porto, ceded the property to the Municipality of Vicenza, which allowed the building to deteriorate.
In 1899, a few years after the disastrous flood of 1882, to avoid further damages caused by the frequent flooding of the nearby Bacchiglione River, the street level around the building was raised, almost completely burying the portico.
In the second decade of the 20th century, the building was so badly deteriorated, that the Municipality of Vicenza considered demolishing it.
Starting from 1921, however, the restoration began. The palace was dismantled piece by piece and rebuilt to a higher level, replacing only the dilapidated moldings and the excessively worn columns. The works were completed in 1934, with the frescoed plaster with polychrome squares, similar to the original one.
Palazzo Angaran represents a fine example of early Renaissance architecture in Vicenza. It is surrounded by a portico with lowered arches, being the only building in the city that develops a continuous portico on two facades.
On the facade overlooking Contrada Porta Santa Lucia, there is an elegant four-light window, divided by columns with Corinthian capitals.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Angaran is located about 1.5 kilometers away from the Vicenza railway station. The closest bus stop is located a few meters away, in Piazza XX Settembre, on the bus Lines 2, 5, 7, 9 and 11.
Find a place to stay