Designed in 1550 by the architect Andrea Palladio, the palace houses the Civic Museum of Vicenza since 1855, and was included in 1994 in the UNESCO World Heritage Site City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto.
The palace was commissioned by Count Girolamo Chiericati to Andrea Palladio in 1550, and the construction of the palace began in the following year. In 1557, the count died and the works were stopped.
The son of Girolamo, Valerio, limited himself to decorate the interiors of the palace, involving some great artists of the time, like Bartolomeo Ridolfi, Giovanni Battista Zelotti, Giovanni Antonio Fasolo and Battista Franco.
The palace remained unfinished for more than a century, and it was completed only in 1680, following the design of Palladio, who died in 1580.
The Municipality of Vicenza purchased the building in 1839 from the Chiericati family, with the intention of collecting the most important art of the city. The palace was restored by the architects Berti and Giovanni Miglioranza, and the Civic Museum was inaugurated on August 18, 1855.
The western body of the courtyard was built in the 19th century. In the same century, large collections were brought to the museum, including various masterpieces and drawings by Palladio. Between 1998 and 2000, the palace underwent extensive restoration work.
The palace, of imposing size, consists of a central body with two slightly set back symmetrical wings, equipped with large loggias on the noble floor.
The harmonious facade is structured on two superimposed orders, with a crowning of statues. The lower floor has a colonnaded portico in Doric order along its entire lenght. The upper floor, in Ionic order, is closed in the central part and has two elegant loggias on the sides.
To give magnificence to the building, but also to protect it from the frequent floods, Palladio raised it on a base, with a stairway in the central part.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Chiericati is located about 1.3 kilometers from the Vicenza railway station. The closest bus stop, Leva’ Degli Angeli, is right in front of the palace, on the bus Line 10. To find the palace on foot, use the map below.