The church was built in the 16th century by the will of the archbishop Carlo Borromeo, to house the Society of Jesus, and is dedicated to Saint Fidelis of Como.
An ancient church located on this place and dedicated to St. Fidelis of Como is mentioned in a bull of Pope Eugene III of 1147.
In 1567, the structure was entrusted to the Jesuits, shortly after their arrival in Milan. The Jesuits started some restoration and enlargement works.
In 1569, the archbishop Carlo Borromeo entrusted the construction of a new church to the architect Pellegrino Tibaldi, who completed the building in 1579. The consecration of the church took place in the same year.
After the suppression of the Jesuit Order in 1773, the church was entrusted to the priests from the nearby Church of Santa Maria alla Scala. After the demolition of Santa Maria alla Scala in 1776 to make room for the Teatro alla Scala, the Church of San Fedele took the title of Santa Maria alla Scala in San Fedele, and was enriched with many of the decorations from the destroyed building.
The elegant facade was completed only in 1835, under the direction of the architect Pietro Pestagalli, who respected the design of Tibaldi. The triangular pediment of the facade, adorned with a valuable bas-relief representing the Assumption is the work of Gaetano Matteo Monti from Ravenna.
On the night of April 16, 1943, a bomb severely damaged the Church of San Fedele. From 1945, the building was managed again by the Jesuits.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest Metro station is Duomo, located about 300 meters away, on the Metro Lines M1 and M3. The closest tram stop is Teatro alla Scala, located about 170 meters away, on the tram Line 1. To find the church on foot, use the map below.