Palazzo Salimbeni was built in the 14th century, by expanding a pre-existing castle from the 12th century belonging to the Salimbeni family. The rear of the palace shows signs of its previous medieval construction.
In 1419, the palace was confiscated by the Sienese Republic and partly used as the headquarters of the Salt Customs House. The institution Monte di Pietà (Mount of Piety) was also located here since 1472.
In 1866, the building was bought by Monte dei Paschi di Siena. The palace was restored and remodeled in Neo-Gothic style starting with 1877, by the architect Giuseppe Partini.
Another restoration was carried out at the beginning of the 20th century by Carlo Ariotti and Vittorio Mariani. At the same time, the other buildings located in the square were also remodeled.
Palazzo Salimbeni has a facade in Sienese Gothic style. The restorations of the 19th and 20th centuries in Neo-Gothic style tried to reproduce the architecture of Siena from the 14th century, with the three-light windows under pointed arches, the battlements at the top and the uninterrupted row of blind arches below.
The rear facade of the building, reachable from Via dell’Abbadia, was built in terracotta and closed between two towers.
The art collection of Monte dei Paschi di Siena is specialized in Sienese art, and includes works by Pietro Lorenzetti, Sassetta, Jacopo della Quercia, Sano di Pietro, Domenico Beccafumi, Bartolomeo Neroni, Francesco Vanni, Rutilio Manetti, Rustichino, Bernardino Mei and Alessandro Franks.
The palace also houses the historical archive of Monte dei Paschi di Siena, containing numerous documents, seals, and administration books.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Salimbeni is located about 1.6 kilometers away from the Siena railway station. The closest bus stop is Stufa Secca, located in Via della Stufa Secca, about 170 meters away, on the bus Lines 0S7 and S19.
Find a place to stay