The airport is named after Karol Wojtyła, the birth name of Pope John Paul II, and is also known as the Palese Airport, after a nearby district of the Metropolitan City of Bari.
The Bari Airport was officially founded in 1934, as a structure used for military traffic, but it was opened to civil aviation flights soon afterwards.
After the Second World War, the civil traffic was reopened only in 1947. In 1951, a new structure was created, planned as a freight terminal, but which effectively became the new airport terminal.
In 1962, the first stone of the new airport terminal was laid, completed three years later. At the same time, the flight infrastructures were modernized. In 1965, the construction of the new control tower began, completed the following year.
HOW TO GET THERE
The best way to get from the airport to Bari and vice versa is by train, with one of the trains of the private railway company Ferrotramviaria (Ferrovie del Nord Barese). A trip takes about 15 minutes and a ticket costs 5€.