The palace was built in 1926 after a design by the architect Accolti Gil, on an area of about three thousand square meters that previously housed the Mercato Coperto (Covered Market).
The works lasted six years and the ribbon was cut in October, 1932. The offices of the Bank were transferred here from its original headquarters located in Via Cairoli.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The palace stands on four levels plus a basement. Valuable elements are the public lounge with its Art Nouveau windows, the large staircase leading to the vault and various bas-reliefs of Carrara marble.
On the first floor, there can be found the Sala Consiliare (Council Hall), with its huge central chandelier, the fine coffered ceiling, and the director’s office, which still preserves the furniture of 1934. In the Council Hall, there is also a bronze bust depicting Vittorio Emanuele III, which was found only a few years ago in the basement of the building.
Banca d’Italia also commissioned the construction of the fountain in front of the building, subsequently sold to the Municipality of Bari.
HOW TO GET THERE
The palace is located on Corso Cavour, about 350 meters away from the historical center of the city and about 900 meters away from the Bari Centrale train station. The closest bus station is Corso Cavour, located about 60 meters away, on the bus Lines 2, 2/, 4, 10, 14 and 35.