The palace was built at the beginning of the 17th century, and aquired around 1616 by the Emo family, for the marriage of Alvise Emo with Eleonora Rodriguez of the Diego family. The palace was bought with a part of her dowry.
Around the middle of the 18th century, the owners were Francesco and Gerolamo Emo, who completed around the same time the adjacent Molin Querini Palace.
The facade is divided into two parts, having a double orientation, both towards the Grand Canal and to the Rio della Maddalena.
The facade is spread over four floors, presenting a ground floor, a mezzanine, a piano nobile and an attic. The expressive power of the facade is concentrated in the group consisting of the water portal and the overlying serliana (a serliana, or Palladian window, is an architectural element composed of a round arched central section, symmetrically flanked by two rectangular windows, surmounted by a lintel).
On the main floor, there are also single windows, two on the right and three on the left of the serliana.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest vaporetto stop is San Marcuola, located about 450 meters away, on the waterbus Lines 1 and 2, but the best spot to admire the palace is across the Canal Grande, in front of the Church of San Stae. Here, you can get with the waterbus Line 1, getting off at the San Stae stop.