A first church was built on this place in 936. In the 13th century, the church was completely rebuilt, abandoning the Byzantine structure and acquiring a Gothic style. Starting with that moment, the building was linked to the history of the Moro family, who became protectors of the church.
At first, the church was named Santa Maria di Val Verde and its history was connected to the nearby Scuola Grande of Santa Maria della Misericordia, which was built at the beginning of the 14th century.
In 1659, the facade of the church was rebuilt, as it appears on a plate on the right, at the expense of the patrician and philosopher Gasparo Moro.
In 1806, after the suppression of the Scuola della Misericordia, the church was turned into a military warehouse. Rescued from the demolition, it was renovated by the abbot Pietro Pianton between 1825 and 1864. After his death, everything was sold and the church was closed.
In 1891, the church was assigned by the patriarch Domenico Agostini to the friars of the Servite Order, who abandoned it in 1973.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The church is adjacent to the Scuola Vecchia della Misericordia, and it consists of a single nave.
Its stone facade is structured around a central giant order dominated by a round tympanum. The top of the pediment is crowned by the statue of the Virgin and the corners of the facade are decorated by pinecone acroteria (architectural ornament).
On the high bases of the two pillars which delimitate the central order, there are two allegorical statues of the Charity and Strenght, and above the portal, in front of the rose window, the bust of Gasparo Moro. All the sculptures are the works of Clemente Molli, who also probably designed the facade.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest vaporetto stop is Ca’ d’Oro, located about 450 meters away, on the Grand Canal, on the waterbus Line 1. To find the church on foot, use the map below.