Faro di Murano is a lighthouse located in the southern area of the Murano island, in the Venetian Lagoon.
Since the time of the Venetian Republic, there has always been a lighthouse on the island. At first, it was built as a wooden tower, on whose top a fire was lit, with the light being reflected by mirrors.
A first true lighthouse was built here in 1912, a metal tower on piles which was deactivated in 1934, when the current lighthouse was erected.
The current lighthouse was designed and built in Istrian stone by the engineer Mario Moro. Until the 1960s, the lighthouse worked on gas, and then it was powered by electricity. Today, the ignition is automated and, like all the lighthouses in Italy, is managed by the Italian Navy.
The current lighthouse is more exposed to the lagoon than the previous one, and was surrounded by stone boulders to protect it.
In the lower part, there are two bas-reliefs, depicting two Madonnas, one located above the entrance door of the lighthouse, the other on the opposite side, towards the lagoon. Black stripes were painted in the upper part, to facilitate visibility in fog.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest waterbus stop, Murano Faro, is near the lighthouse, on the waterbus Lines 3, 4.1, 4.2, 12 and 13. If you get off on the island at the Murano Colonna waterbus stop, there are about 600 meters to the lighthouse, or about 8 minutes on foot.