The Church of the Maestà delle Volte was a church in Perugia, from which today only the facade has remained. The church is now a clothing store on via Maestà delle Volte, but it still retains its architecture and some of the original frescoes.
In 1297, on the street that passes under the Palazzo del Podesta, was placed a fresco known as Maestà delle Volte, which most likely portrayed Madonna with the Child.
An oratory was built in 1335 to house the fresco, that was replaced by a larger church, between 1440 and 1470. Probably, Agostino di Duccio decorated the church in 1475.
The church was damaged in 1534, when Ridolfo Baglioni conquered Perugia and set fire to the adjacent palace. Restorations took place in 1538 and between 1557 and 1558. In 1566, when the church became part of the Episcopal Seminary, Bishop Fulvio della Corgna initiated further renovations. The church was a meeting place for the Compagnia della Morte until the end of the 16th century, after which it moved to its own church, Church of Compagnia della Buona Morte.
At the end of the 16th century, the facade of the church was built after a design by Bino Sozi. The inscription on the facade records that Bishop Antonio Maria Gallo ornamented it, using funds from the will of Marco Antonio Oradini.
HOW TO GET THERE
The church, or what is left of it, is only a few meters away from Piazza IV November, at the beginning of Via Maestà delle Volte. For the exact directions, use the map below.