Palazzo delle Scuderie del Quirinale was built between 1722 and 1732 on a piece of land owned by the Colonna family, close to another building owned by the same family, the beautiful Palazzo Colonna.
The project of the current palace belongs to the architect Alessandro Specchi, who was commissioned by Pope Innocent XIII to design a building intended to replace the previous one built in the early 18th century by Carlo Fontana. When Innocent XIII died, in 1730, the new Pope Clement XII entrusted Ferdinando Fuga with the task of completing the work.
The building maintained its original function as a stable until 1938, the year in which it was transformed into a garage. In the 1980s, the palace was transformed into a museum of carriages.
Between 1997 and 1999, it was completely restored to a design by the Friulian architect Gae Aulenti, in time for the Jubilee of the year 2000. Designed as an important exhibition space of about 1,500 square meters, it was inaugurated by the President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi and granted to the Municipality of Rome.
The palace currently hosts major international exhibitions and is one of the most visited venues for temporary art exhibitions in Rome, together with the Vittoriano.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest Metro station is Barberini, on the Metro Line A, located about 750 meters away. The closest bus stop is Traforo/Tritone, located about 300 meters away, on the bus Lines 71 and 117.
Find a place to stay