The Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (Chiesa di Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore), also known as the Church of San Giacomo degli Spagnoli, is a church in Rome, located between Corso del Rinascimento and Piazza Navona.
A first church was erected on this site in the 13th century, and dedicated to Saint James the Great, the patron saint of Spain.
In 1440, the church was completely rebuilt at the expense of Alfonso de Paradinas. The facade was the work of the architect Bernardo Rossellino.
Pope Alexander VI Borgia ordered new expansion works on the church, widened the square in front of the entrance on Via della Sapienza, and moved to the annexed buildings the hospices for Spanish pilgrims.
In 1506, the Church of San Giacomo became the national church of the Spanish community in Rome. In 1518, the church was again remodeled by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, who would later become the architect of all the papal buildings.
In 1818, after a period of neglect, the church was abandoned by the Spanish community in favor of the Church of Santa Maria di Monserrato, where the furnishings and tombs were also transferred. In 1878, the Church of San Giacomo was deconsecrated and sold to the French missionaries of the Sacred Heart.
At the end of the 19th century, Pope Leo XIII underwent a radical restructuring of the church. The works were supervised by the architect Luca Carimini, who modified the facade overlooking Piazza Navona. The church was reconsecrated, and entrusted to the Congregation of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
In 1931, for the opening of Corso del Rinascimento, the apse and the transept of the church were demolished.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest Metro station is Spagna, located about 1.4 kilometers away, on the Metro Line A. The closest bus stop is Rinascimento, located in front of the facade on Corso del Rinascimento, on the bus Lines 30, 70, 81, 87, 492 and 628.
Find a place to stay