Piazza Giacomo Matteotti, also known as Piazza San Giacomo or Mercato Nuovo (New Market), is a beautiful square in Udine, located about 120 meters away from Piazza della Libertà and Loggia del Lionello.
Piazza San Giacomo is the oldest square in Udine after Piazza della Libertà. The square appeared in the 13th century to house the new city market, hence the name Mercato Nuovo.
After the Second World War, the square was named after the deputy Giacomo Matteotti, assassinated by Fascists in 1924.
Until the 1980s, the square was a rather infamous area. Today, home to numerous bars and restaurants, Piazza Giacomo Matteotti is the heart of the nightlife in Udine and one of the busiest places in the city.
The square is surrounded by buildings dating back to the Middle Ages. Some of the buildings are still embellished by frescoes with geometric and floral decorations.
The central part of the square has a large base of stone blocks. In the center of the square, there is a fountain built in 1543 by the stonemason Mastro Cipriano, on a project by the famous architect Giovanni da Udine. Also in the square, we can find the Column of the Madonna with Child, built in 1487.
The Church of San Giacomo, located on the western side of the square, dates back to 1378 and is dedicated to Saint James, protector of the traders of Udine. The church was commissioned by the Brotherhood of the Furriers to the architect and sculptor Bernardino da Morcote. Adjacent to the church, there is the Oratory of the Madonna del Suffragio, built in 1399, with an interior decorated by Biagio Biagetti.
HOW TO GET THERE
Piazza Giacomo Matteotti is located about 1.1 kilometers away from the Udine railway station. The closest bus stop is located in Piazza della Libertà, about 120 meters away, on the bus Line M.