The structure was built in 1378, initially as a chapel, which was later enlarged. The facade of the church dates back to 1525, and was built by the architect and sculptor Bernardino da Morcote.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
On the facade, above the main portal of the church, there is a balcony and two mullioned windows. Above the balcony, we can find the clock, surmounted by the belfry.
The interior of the church was heavily transformed during the Baroque period. The ceiling was decorated by Pietro Venier with Stories of Saint James.
Inside, we can find beautiful works of art. Placed on the first altar on the right, there is The Virgin with Saints Apollonia and Agata by Fulvio Griffoni, dating back to the 17th century. On the second altar on the right, there is San Fabio interceding for souls in purgatory, a work by Pietro Venier dating back to the 18th century.
On the first altar on the left, we can find The Virgin surrounded by saints by Antonio Carneo. Worth mentioning are also the two statues depicting the Archangel Raphael and a Veiled Woman, works of Antonio Corradini.
Adjacent to the church, there is the Oratory of the Madonna del Suffragio, with an interior decorated by Biagio Biagetti. The oratory can be accessed both from the Church of San Giacomo, and from the square in front.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Giacomo is situated about 1.1 kilometers away from the Udine railway station, or about 15-20 minutes on foot. The closest bus stop is located in Piazza della Libertà, about 230 meters away, on the bus Line M.