Loggia del Lionello is a palace in Udine, located in the historical center of the city, in Piazza della Libertà. The palazzo owes its name to the architect Nicolò Lionello, who completed its contruction.
In January 24, 1441, the Municipality of Udine proposed the construction of a new building for the City Council. The work began in 1448, and the architects nominated to take care of the construction were Nicolò dei Bombeni, Raimondo della Torre, Giovanni Rainoldi and Nicolò Lionello. Until Lionello’s death in 1462, the construction of the Loggia was completed and the first meeting of the City Council took place inside the building in 1455.
A new phase of work began at the end of the 15th century, more precisely on March 20, 1492, when the Council approved the acquisition and integration of the houses behind the loggia as municipal property. Shortly afterwards, the Council approved the demolition of these houses, for the enlargement and improvement of the building.
On March 26, 1511, an earthquake struck Friuli, destroying numerous buildings including the Loggia. The repair works were started, however, only in 1516, and the restoration was entrusted to the lieutenant Leonardo Emo. In July 1521, the repair of the roof was completed.
In 1685, the Loggia was damaged by a fire. In the following years, the restoration of the external decorations, windows, walls and internal ceilings were carried out. The restoration was definitively completed in 1878.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
Loggia del Lionello is a palace built in Venetian Gothic style, characterized by a majestic structure and the elegance of its decorations. The building has a rectangular base, measuring 18.50 meters in width and 35.50 meters in length, while the height of the structure is 15.20 meters. The Loggia has two floors and its exterior is made from alternating bands of pink and white stones.
The main facade, facing the castle hill, has ten arches located in the lower part, while above there is a central balcony and two lateral three-light windows, enriched with coats of arms.
Inside the Loggia, we can find works of art such as the frescoes by Nicolò da Venzone and Gaspare Negro, the stained glass windows by Stefano di Settecastelli, the Madonna and Child by the painter Giovanni Antonio Pordenone, the busts of the lieutenant Nicolò Mocenigo, of the statesman Quintino Sella and of the Friulian generals Carlo Caneva and Antonio Baldissera, heroes of the First World War.
HOW TO GET THERE
Loggia del Lionello is located about 1.1 kilometers away from the Udine railway station. The closest bus stop is in Piazza della Libertà, right in front of the building, on the bus Line M.