The Loggia di San Giovanni, also known as the Porch of Saint John (Porticato di San Giovanni), is a historical monument located in Piazza della Libertà, in Udine. SHORT HISTORY Initially, in Piazza della Libertà, there was the Church of San Giovanni which, after the earthquake of 1511, was demolished and rebuilt by the Lombard architect Bernardino da Morcote. In addition to rebuilding the church, Bernardino da Morcote designed the homonymous Loggia. Bernardino da Morcote had to face various difficulties during the building of the porch, because the new Loggia and the church had to lean on the already existing clock tower. The Loggia, after years of neglect, was completely renovated in the second half of the 19th century, returning to its original splendor. In 1917, the Austrians occupied Udine and transformed the Loggia of San Giovanni into a guard post. On November 3, 1918, Udine was liberated from the Austrian dominion. In 1921, Raimondo D’Aronco planned the restructuring of the church, transforming it into the Pantheon of the Fallen of the First World War. The works ended in December 1926. ART AND ARCHITECTURE The Porch of San Giovanni consists of a colonnade with a triumphal arch in Read more [...]
In Italy, a residence of a nobleman, usually larger than a regular house, is called palazzo, a term translated into English as palace. In the past, besides residences, the palazzi also functioned as warehouses and office spaces. Many cities in Italy have a Palazzo Ducale, the seat of the local lord. Probably, the city with the most palaces is Venice, mostly located on the banks of the Grand Canal.
Maybe the most important palaces in Italy are Palazzo Pitti and Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Palazzo Reale in Caserta, Doge’s Palace in Venice, Palazzo Reale in Milan, Palazzo del Quirinale in Rome, Palazzo Reale in Naples, Palazzo della Ragione in Padua and Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia. With so many palaces, it is hard to decide which are the most beautiful and worth visiting, and that is why we suggest that you visit them all.
Casa Veneziana (Venetian House), also known as Palazzetto, is a Venetian palace in Udine, located on the eastern side of Piazza XX Settembre, about 350 meters away from Piazza della Libertà. SHORT HISTORY The palace was built in the 15th century for the Montegnacco family, in Via Rialto, near the Loggia del Lionello. In January 1910, for the construction of the new Town Hall, the demolition of the existing buildings between Via Rialto and Via Cavour was planned. After a heated debate on whether to demolish the palazzo, perhaps the only remaining vestige from the Venetian era in Udine, it was decided to preserve this ancient building, at least in the original elements of the facade. Casa Veneziana was thus disassembled and later, in 1929, it was reassembled in Piazza XX Settembre, where is currently located. Some frescoes were lost. ARCHITECTURE The facade of the palace, built in Venetian-Gothic style, is structured on three levels, with alternating mullioned windows of various shapes. The main portal is surmounted by a three-light window and a small balcony. The attic has four rectangular windows. HOW TO GET THERE Casa Veneziana is located about 900 meters away from the Udine railway Read more [...]
Loggia del Lionello is a palace in Udine, located in the historical center of the city, in Piazza della Libertà. The palazzo owes its name to the architect Nicolò Lionello, who completed its contruction. SHORT HISTORY In January 24, 1441, the Municipality of Udine proposed the construction of a new building for the City Council. The work began in 1448, and the architects nominated to take care of the construction were Nicolò dei Bombeni, Raimondo della Torre, Giovanni Rainoldi and Nicolò Lionello. Until Lionello’s death in 1462, the construction of the Loggia was completed and the first meeting of the City Council took place inside the building in 1455. A new phase of work began at the end of the 15th century, more precisely on March 20, 1492, when the Council approved the acquisition and integration of the houses behind the loggia as municipal property. Shortly afterwards, the Council approved the demolition of these houses, for the enlargement and improvement of the building. On March 26, 1511, an earthquake struck Friuli, destroying numerous buildings including the Loggia. The repair works were started, however, only in 1516, and the restoration was entrusted to the lieutenant Leonardo Emo. In July 1521, Read more [...]