A small chapel dedicated to San Giorgio is mentioned in the will of Ricchiero Ricchieri, dated back to 1347, through which he provided a sum of money for its maintenance.
In 1588, following the growth of the city, the chapel was elevated to a parish. The church was enlarged in 1625, and again starting with 1792 on the initiative of Don Lorenzo Grigoletti, uncle of the painter Michelangelo Grigoletti.
The church was completed only in 1873, when the monument was consecrated and the Neoclassical facade designed by the Pordenone artist Giovanni Battista Bassi was finished. The bell tower, begun in 1852 to a design by the same architect, was completed only in 1914.
In 1975, a general restoration of the church was carried out, with the reconstruction of the roof, the external plaster and the exterior painting. The church was inaugurated on Christmas 1975, but the 1976 earthquake caused further damages to its structure. Between 2001 and 2002, the building underwent further consolidation and conservative restoration.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
Inside the church, many works of art are still preserved, such as the great altarpiece dedicated to San Giorgio by the Pordenone painter Gasparo Narvesa, the altarpiece of Sant’Anna and that of Santa Lucia by Michelangelo Grigoletti, and the altarpiece of San Antonio by Pio Rossi.
The interior frescoes, with scenes of the Annunciation in the apse arch and other depictions of saints and angels in the vault of the nave, were made by the artist Tiburzio Donadon and were inaugurated in 1941.
The bell tower looks like a Doric column, surmounted by a belfry upon which a globe is imposed, supported by four Atlases, after a design by Domenico Rupolo and Luigi Salice. On the globe, there is currently a statue of Saint George by Pierino Sam and Giulio Piccini, which in 1961 replaced the previous one by Vincenzo Rinaldo and Giovanni Durighello.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of San Giorgio is located about 600 meters away from the Pordenone railway station. The closest bus stop is in Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi, about 290 meters away, on the bus Line R.