All SEE in Pordenone

One of the most beautiful countries in the world, Italy is well known for its rich art and culture, and for its numerous landmarks. With 54 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, more than any other country in the world, and an estimated 100,000 monuments of any sort (churches, palaces, museums, fountains, sculptures and archaeological remains), Italy is home to about half of the world’s artistic treasures. And if you are looking for inspiration, find below a list of the most famous tourist attractions in Pordenone, Friuli-Venezia Giulia…

  •   Favorite

    Pordenone Cathedral of San Marco

    The Cathedral of San Marco, known also as the Duomo di San Marco, is the Cathedral of Pordenone, dedicated to Saint Mark. The cathedral is located in the historical center of the town, in Piazza San Marco, a few meters from the Communal Palace.   SHORT HISTORY The Cathedral of Saint Mark was built starting from the second half of the 13th century, in Romanesque-Gothic style, on the remains of a previous church. The imposing bell tower was completed in 1347, and raised to 79.47 meters in the 17th century, when the spire was added. The first restoration interventions were carried out in 1938. Later, in 1940, the 15th century frescoes were found in the Chapel of Saints Peter and Paul and the Resurrection fresco in the sacristy. The first global restoration project of the entire cathedral began in 1956 and was carried out on several steps, also by demolishing some surrounding buildings. Inside, the decoration of the dome of the transept was brought to light. Between 1965 and 1975, the floor was restored, under which some tombstones were found. On this occasion, the roof of the nave was rehabilitated following the original construction schemes. After the 1976 Friuli earthquake, Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Campanile di San Marco

    The Campanile di San Marco is the bell tower of the Cathedral of San Marco, the Cathedral of Pordenone. The bell tower is located a few meters away from the church, in Piazza San Marco, near the southern end of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.   SHORT HISTORY The construction of the bell tower was begun in 1291 and completed in 1347, up to the belfry. The following year, an earthquake caused the collapse of the four large corner capitals adorning the belfry. Until 1544, the ground floor of the bell tower was used as a prison. In 1820, an order was issued to destroy the tower for safety reasons, but fortunately the order was not carried out. In 1862, the tower was coated with iron, and a few years later, in 1888, it was completely renovated. Other consolidation works were carried out after the earthquake of 1976.   ARCHITECTURE The bell tower is built entirely in terracotta, in Romanesque-Gothic style. The square body of the tower is defined by pilasters and corner pillars ending with blind round arches, up to the upper block marked by bands of rich horizontal decorations. Above the belfry, there is an octagonal cusp surmounted by Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo Comunale

    Palazzo Comunale, also known as Palazzo del Municipio, houses the Town Hall of Pordenone. The palace is located at the southern end of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, in Piazza San Marco.   SHORT HISTORY The palace, originally called lozza, was built probably at the end of the 13th century, in the oldest and most elevated part of the town, near the Cathedral of San Marco and the port on the Noncello River. For a long time, the Loggia was used for justice and official meetings, and the upper hall was used as a warehouse, armory, or for theatrical performances and entertainment. In 1542, the facade of the palace was enriched with gothic pinnacles after a design by the painter Pomponio Amalteo, pupil and son-in-law of Giovanni Antonio de’ Sacchis, better known as Il Pordenone. In 1626, the council hall was adorned with the painting of Alessandro Varotari, Il Padovanino, representing San Marco and the Justice, commissioned specifically for this space. After 1800, the same hall hosted other works of art, and became the city’s art gallery until the establishment of the Palazzo Ricchieri Museum in 1970. In the 1920s, the council decided to expand the palace, to gather in one Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Church of San Giorgio

    The Church of San Giorgio is a beautiful church in Pordenone, located in Largo San Giorgio, in the northern part of the historical center of the town.   SHORT HISTORY A small chapel dedicated to San Giorgio is mentioned in the will of Ricchiero Ricchieri, dated back to 1347, through which he provided a sum of money for its maintenance. In 1588, following the growth of the city, the chapel was elevated to a parish. The church was enlarged in 1625, and again starting with 1792 on the initiative of Don Lorenzo Grigoletti, uncle of the painter Michelangelo Grigoletti. The church was completed only in 1873, when the monument was consecrated and the Neoclassical facade designed by the Pordenone artist Giovanni Battista Bassi was finished. The bell tower, begun in 1852 to a design by the same architect, was completed only in 1914. In 1975, a general restoration of the church was carried out, with the reconstruction of the roof, the external plaster and the exterior painting. The church was inaugurated on Christmas 1975, but the 1976 earthquake caused further damages to its structure. Between 2001 and 2002, the building underwent further consolidation and conservative restoration.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo Badini

    Palazzo Badini is a beautiful palace in Pordenone, located in Piazza Cavour, near the northern end of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.   SHORT HISTORY The noble Badini family moved from Bergamo to Pordenone at the beginning of the 16th century. After receiving the title of Count in 1710, the family participated in the public and administrative life of the city, holding the office of podestà (chief magistrate) many times. The palace was built at their behest in the late 17th-early 18th century. In 1782, the palace was ready to receive the hereditary prince of Russia, Pavel Romanov and his wife Sofia of Württemberg, but the couple preferred to stay overnight in a modest inn, not far away from the palace. During the 19th century, the building was the seat of the Austrian court, during the Lombardo-Venetian Kingdom. Subsequently, the palace passed from one owner to another, until it was purchased between 1926 and 1933 by Credito Veneto. Later, the palace was aquired by Banca Cattolica del Veneto, by Banco Ambrosiano Veneto and finally by Banca Popolare FriulAdria. Following a major renovation carried out between 1971 and 1973, the ground floor was completely changed from its original layout. To make Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Corso Vittorio Emanuele II

    Corso Vittorio Emanuele II is the main artery of the historical center of Pordenone. The street, with its relatively sinuous course, invites you to stroll under the shelter of its arcades, being the perfect route for the local passeggiata (a leisurely walk, taken especially in the evening in Italian cities).   SHORT HISTORY Once, the street was named Contrada Maggiore, and it connected the two main city gates: Porta de Soto (or Furlana), towards the river, and Porta de Sora (or Trevisana), near Piazza Cavour, both demolished in the 19th century.   ARCHITECTURE The pedestrian street starts from Piazza Cavour, towards the Noncello River, and ends about 450 meters away, in front of the Communal Palace (Palazzo Comunale), near the Cathedral of San Marco. The power of the ancient Pordenone is still visible on the street, in the sequence of buildings belonging to the noble families of the past… Walking from Piazza Cavour, on the western side of the street, at No. 10, there is Casa Simoni, built in the 14th century. The house, with two floors, has a frescoed facade with two windows with trefoil arches in Gothic style, flanking the city’s coat of arms. At No. 44, we Read more [...]