The Cathedral of San Marco, known also as the Duomo di San Marco, is the Cathedral of Pordenone, dedicated to Saint Mark. The cathedral is located in the historical center of the town, in Piazza San Marco, a few meters from the Communal Palace.
The Cathedral of Saint Mark was built starting from the second half of the 13th century, in Romanesque-Gothic style, on the remains of a previous church. The imposing bell tower was completed in 1347, and raised to 79.47 meters in the 17th century, when the spire was added.
The first restoration interventions were carried out in 1938. Later, in 1940, the 15th century frescoes were found in the Chapel of Saints Peter and Paul and the Resurrection fresco in the sacristy.
The first global restoration project of the entire cathedral began in 1956 and was carried out on several steps, also by demolishing some surrounding buildings. Inside, the decoration of the dome of the transept was brought to light.
Between 1965 and 1975, the floor was restored, under which some tombstones were found. On this occasion, the roof of the nave was rehabilitated following the original construction schemes.
After the 1976 Friuli earthquake, which caused considerable damage to the church, it was necessary to consolidate the walls, rebuild the internal flooring and the roof of the nave.
The last restoration was carried out in 1997, with the reinforcement of the wall structure.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The unfinished facade dates back to the 19th-century project by Francesco Lazzari.
The main portal was built by Giovanni Antonio Pilacorte in 1511. On the lunette of the portal, there is a representation of Christ Passing, while on the jambs there are the signs of the zodiac. On the architrave and on the plinths there are scenes of Creation.
The interior has a single nave. The building of the side chapels, three on each side, dates back to the 16th century.
The marble altars are the work of the 18th-century artist Giovanni Battista Bettini, with the exception of the Carmine Altar in the second side chapel on the right, and the Altar of San Vincenzo Ferrari in the first side chapel on the left, built between 1739 and 1742 by Agostino and Lorenzo Canziani.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Cathedral of San Marco is located about 700 meters away from the Pordenone railway station. The closest bus stop is in Via Riviera del Pordenone, about 150 meters away, on the bus Lines 2, 3, 4, 5/, 6 and 7. To find the Cathedral on foot, use the map below.