• About

    Piazza Cavour is the main square of Rimini, located in the northern part of the historical center of the city.



    Piazza Cavour became the political and economic center of the city at the beginning of the 13th century, when it gained importance after the construction of Palazzo dell’Arengo.

    During the 16th century, the square was named Piazza del Comune (Town Square) or Piazza della Fontana (Fountain Square) and underwent important changes.

    The old Palazzo dell’Arengo was enlarged and joined to the new Palazzo Garampi, in a single large monumental complex, while the Palace of San Silvestro, which closed the square towards Corso d’Augusto, was completely demolished.

    Between 1615 and 1620, on the western side of the square, the public granary was built, replaced in the mid-19th century by the Vittorio Emanuele II Theater (Teatro Vittorio Emanuele II), today the Amintore Galli Theater (Teatro Amintore Galli).

    Piazza Cavour - Rimini

    Piazza Cavour



    Three municipal buildings – Palazzo del Podestà, Palazzo dell’Arengo and Palazzo Garampi, define the northern side of the square.

    Palazzo dell’Arengo was built starting with 1204, and it was the meeting place for the council of the people of Rimini. It has a loggia on the ground floor and is surmounted by battlements.

    Palazzo del Podestà was erected in 1334, and it was the seat of the chief magistrate of the medieval Rimini. On the ground floor, the palace has a facade with three frontal Gothic arches.

    Palazzo Garampi was built initially in 1562 by the architect Lodovico Carducci, and was rebuilt in 1687 by Francesco Garampi. Today, it houses the municipal offices.

    The Amintore Galli Theater, located on the western side of the square, was built on a design by the architect Luigi Poletti, and inaugurated in 1857.

    The southern side of the square is delimited by the old fish market (Pescheria), dating back to the mid-18th century.

    In the center of the square, there are the Fountain of the Pine Cone (Fontana della Pigna) and the Monument to Pope Paul V.

    The fountain was initially erected in Roman times, and completely restructured in 1543 by Giovanni da Carrara.

    The Monument to Pope Paul V, built by Sebastiano Sebastiani, was placed in the center of the square in 1614. The bronze statue, on a high marble base, depicts the pope seated on a throne decorated with reliefs.



    Piazza Cavour is located about 800 meters away from the Rimini railway station. The closest bus stop is Duomo, about 400 meters away, on the bus Line 1.

  • Find a place to stay
  • Photos
  • Video

  • Map

    No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.

  • Reviews

    Leave a Review

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Rate this Place (overall):
    • rating icon
    • rating icon
    • rating icon
    • rating icon
    • rating icon

    Drop files to upload

    Please drag & drop the images to rearrange the order

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.