SHORT HISTORY OF PIAZZA TRE MARTIRI
The square is located on the site of the ancient Roman forum of Ariminum, at the intersection between the cardo and the decumanus maximus (the main north-south and west-east oriented Roman roads).
In the Middle Ages, the square was known as Piazza delle Erbe, due to the market held there.
Piazza Tre Martiri was remodeled in the 16th century, when it assumed its current elliptical configuration with arcades.
At the beginning of the century, the small temple dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua was built. In 1547, the structure with the Clock Tower (Torre dell’Orologio) was erected.
The Column of Julius Caesar was placed in the square in 1555 to celebrate the allocution addressed by the Roman general to his soldiers after they crossed the Rubicon.
At the beginning of the 17th century, behind the Temple of Saint Anthony of Padua, the Minims of San Francesco di Paola founded the Paolotti Church (Chiesa dei Paolotti), which was rebuilt in 1729.
In 1921, Via IV Novembre and Via Giuseppe Garibaldi were enlarged, and Arco dei Magnani, an arch located at the entrance to Via Garibaldi, was demolished.
Before the Second World War, the square was also known as Piazza Maggiore and Piazza Giulio Cesare.
After three young partisans were killed in the square on August 16, 1944, the square was named Piazza Tre Martiri in their honor.
ARCHITECTURE OF PIAZZA TRE MARTIRI
On the eastern side of the square, we can find the Clock Tower, the Column of Julius Caesar, the modern Church of San Francesco da Paola and the 16th-century Temple of Saint Anthony of Padua.
On the northern side of the square, there is the Statue of Julius Caesar and, behind it, Palazzo Tingoli, built by Domenico Tingoli at the beginning of the 18th century, now the Rimini headquarters of the UniCredit Bank.
HOW TO GET TO PIAZZA TRE MARTIRI
Piazza Tre Martiri is located about 650 meters away from the Rimini railway station. The closest bus stop is Duomo, about 150 meters away, on the bus Line 1.
Find a place to stay