All SEE in Rimini

Rimini has many tourist attractions, of which important examples of architecture from the Roman age, such as the Arch of Augustus, built in 27 BC, the Bridge of Tiberius, built in 20 AD, Domus del Chirurgo, a 2nd-century Roman villa, and the Roman Amphitheater.

Besides these, other important landmarks in Rimini are the Malatesta Temple (Tempio Malatestiano), the unfinished Cathedral of Rimini, the Sismondo Castle (Castel Sismondo), built in the 15th century by Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Palazzo dell’Arengo, the Amintore Galli Theater (Teatro Amintore Galli), and the beautiful squares Piazza Cavour, Piazza Malatesta and Piazza Tre Martiri.

  •   Favorite

    Tempio Malatestiano

    Tempio Malatestiano, also known as the Cathedral of Santa Colomba, is the Cathedral of Rimini, located in Via IV Novembre.   SHORT HISTORY OF TEMPIO MALATESTIANO A chapel dedicated to Santa Maria in Trivio is documented on this site in the 9th century. The chapel was demolished in 1257, to allow the construction of a larger church in Gothic style, dedicated to San Francesco and supported by the Franciscan order. Between the 13th and 14th centuries, two chapels were added on the southern side of the church. Despite its modest size, the structure was enriched by altars and works of art, including works by Giotto. In 1312, it was already used as a burial place for the Malatesta family. Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Lord of Rimini, decided to built a chapel dedicated to San Sigismondo, and entrusted the project to Matteo de’ Pasti from Verona. On October 31, 1447, the first stone of Tempio Malatestiano was laid. In the following years, after a successful series of victories, Sigismondo decided to extend the project to the entire structure. Leon Battista Alberti was entrusted with the project of a new church, which included the addition of a rotunda in the rear part of Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Castel Sismondo

    Castel Sismondo, also known as Rocca Malatestiana, is a castle in Rimini, located in Piazza Malatesta, in the historical center of the city.   SHORT HISTORY OF CASTEL SISMONDO Castel Sismondo was built at the behest of Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Lord of Rimini, starting with 1437, in a period of great prosperity for the House of Malatesta. The castle was conceived both as a fortress and a palace of grandiose proportions, to represent the power of the lord over the city. Sigismondo was, in fact, the one who designed the castle, but was supported by various architects, such as Cristoforo Foschi, Matteo Nuti and Filippo Brunelleschi. The fortress was built on a pre-existing structure, a large fortified complex built by Sigismondo’s brother and predecessor, Galeotto Roberto. The construction began on May 20, 1437, and was completed about 15 years later, with some of the decorative works lasting until 1454. During the works, in order to create a large buffer zone around the moat, an entire complex of buildings was demolished, including the Baptistery of San Giovanni and the Convent of Santa Caterina. The decline of the House of Malatesta at the end of the 15th century determined the beginning of Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Arco di Augusto

    Arco di Augusto (Arch of Augustus) is a Roman triumphal arch in Rimini, located in the southern part of the historical center of the city. The Arch of Augustus is the best-preserved Roman arch in the world. Together with the Bridge of Tiberius, the arch is one of the symbols of Rimini, and both monuments appear on the coat of arms of the city.   SHORT HISTORY OF ARCO DI AUGUSTO Arco di Augusto was built in 27 BC, by decree of the Roman Senate, in order to honor Emperor Augustus for having restored Via Flaminia, Via Emilia and Via Popilia. In fact, the arch marked the end of Via Flaminia, which connected Rimini to Rome, the capital of the Empire. Back then, Via Flaminia was continued by the decumanus maximus (east-west-oriented Roman road), today’s Corso d’Augusto, which led to the entrance to the ancient Via Emilia. Arco di Augusto remained the main gate of the city, flanked by modest buildings, until the Fascist period. Between 1936 and 1938, at the behest of Benito Mussolini, it was isolated by demolishing the adjacent buildings.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE OF THE ARCH OF AUGUSTUS The arch was built in travertine from Nabresina, Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Ponte di Tiberio

    Ponte di Tiberio (Bridge of Tiberius), also known as the Bridge of Augustus, is a Roman bridge in Rimini, located in the northern part of the historical center of the city.   SHORT HISTORY OF PONTE DI TIBERIO The construction of the Tiberius Bridge was started in 14 AD under the government of Emperor Augustus, and was completed in 21 AD under Emperor Tiberius. It served as a bridge over the Marecchia River, before the course of the river was diverted. The bridge is a national monument since 1885, and it appears on the coat of arms of Rimini. Until recently, the bridge was part of the city road network and was open to normal traffic, excluding heavy vehicles. The definitive pedestrianization of the bridge began on an experimental basis on May 30, 2020.   ARCHITECTURE OF THE BRIDGE OF TIBERIUS The Bridge of Tiberius was built in Istrian stone, in a sober, but, at the same time, harmonious style. The bridge is paved with trachyte stones, has a width of 4.80 meters and a length of 74 meters. It is flanked by sidewalks about 30 centimeters high and about 60 centimeters wide. The structure is made up of five Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Piazza Tre Martiri

    Piazza Tre Martiri is one of the main squares of Rimini, located in the historical center of the city.   SHORT HISTORY OF PIAZZA TRE MARTIRI The square is located on the site of the ancient Roman forum of Ariminum, at the intersection between the cardo and the decumanus maximus (the main north-south and west-east oriented Roman roads). In the Middle Ages, the square was known as Piazza delle Erbe, due to the market held there. Piazza Tre Martiri was remodeled in the 16th century, when it assumed its current elliptical configuration with arcades. At the beginning of the century, the small temple dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua was built. In 1547, the structure with the Clock Tower (Torre dell’Orologio) was erected. The Column of Julius Caesar was placed in the square in 1555 to celebrate the allocution addressed by the Roman general to his soldiers after they crossed the Rubicon. At the beginning of the 17th century, behind the Temple of Saint Anthony of Padua, the Minims of San Francesco di Paola founded the Paolotti Church (Chiesa dei Paolotti), which was rebuilt in 1729. In 1921, Via IV Novembre and Via Giuseppe Garibaldi were enlarged, and Arco dei Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo dell’Arengo

    Palazzo dell’Arengo, known in the past as Palatium Comunis, is a palace in Rimini, located in Piazza Cavour, between Palazzo del Podestà and Palazzo Garampi, in the historical center of the city. In the late Middle Ages, the council of the people of Rimini met in the palace.   SHORT HISTORY OF PALAZZO DELL’ARENGO The loggia of Palazzo dell’Arengo was erected in 1204 by the podestà (chief magistrate) of Rimini, Mario de Carbonesi. The fact is remebered by an epigraph on one of the pillars of the loggia. The palace was restored several times, in 1562, in 1672, and between 1919 and 1923. The original construction was profoundly altered by these renovations. Today, Palazzo dell’Arengo, together with the adjacent Palazzo del Podestà, houses the new Museum of Contemporary Art of the City – PART, Palazzi dell’Arte Rimini.   ART AND ARCHITECTURE OF PALAZZO DELL’ARENGO Palazzo dell’Arengo has a facade in Romanesque-Gothic style, surmounted by battlements, with a large loggia on the ground floor. The loggia is set on a massive colonnade which supports pointed arches. On the upper floor, there is a large hall with mullioned windows (Sala dell’Arengo), in which are preserved frescoes of the Rimini school from the Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo del Podestà

    Palazzo del Podestà is a medieval palace in Rimini, located in Piazza Cavour, between Palazzo dell’Arengo and the Amintore Galli Theater.   SHORT HISTORY OF PALAZZO DEL PODESTÀ The palace was built in 1334, more than a century after Palazzo dell’Arengo, and was the seat of the podestà, the chief magistrate of the city of Rimini. The palace undergone considerable transformations over the years. Between 1912 and 1922, it was restored by the architect Gaspare Rastrelli. Since 2020, Palazzo del Podestà, together with the adjacent Palazzo dell’Arengo, houses the new Museum of Contemporary Art of the City – PART, Palazzi dell’Arte Rimini.   ARCHITECTURE OF PALAZZO DEL PODESTÀ The palace has a Gothic facade with three pointed arches on the ground floor and five small windows on the upper floor. The facade is surmounted by battlements.   HOW TO GET TO PALAZZO DEL PODESTÀ Palazzo del Podestà is located about 900 meters away from the Rimini railway station. The closest bus stop is Duomo, about 450 meters away, on the bus Line 1.

  • Favorite

    Piazza Malatesta

    Piazza Malatesta, once known as Piazza del Corso, is one of the main squares of Rimini, located in the northern part of the historical center of the city.   SHORT HISTORY OF PIAZZA MALATESTA The square has medieval origins, and was attached to Piazza Cavour until the 17th century, when the public granary was built, and closed its eastern side. In the mid-19th century, the granary was replaced by the Vittorio Emanuele II Municipal Theater (Teatro Vittorio Emanuele II), today the Amintore Galli Theater (Teatro Amintore Galli). Most of the square was formerly occupied by the large moat of Castel Sismondo, filled in the 19th century. In the last decades, the square was used as a parking lot and market area. In 2015, a new renovation project started, which was completed in 2018, when the square returned to its Renaissance appearance.   ARCHITECTURE OF PIAZZA MALATESTA The square covers an area of about 11,000 square meters, in front of the magnificent Castel Sismondo. Castel Sismondo, located in the western part of the square, was built at the behest of Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, Lord of Rimini, starting with 1437, and completed about 15 years later. In the eastern side of Piazza Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Piazza Cavour

    Piazza Cavour is the main square of Rimini, located in the northern part of the historical center of the city.   SHORT HISTORY OF PIAZZA CAVOUR Piazza Cavour became the political and economic center of the city at the beginning of the 13th century, when it gained importance after the construction of Palazzo dell’Arengo. During the 16th century, the square was named Piazza del Comune (Town Square) or Piazza della Fontana (Fountain Square) and underwent important changes. The old Palazzo dell’Arengo was enlarged and joined to the new Palazzo Garampi, in a single large monumental complex, while the Palace of San Silvestro, which closed the square towards Corso d’Augusto, was completely demolished. Between 1615 and 1620, on the western side of the square, the public granary was built, replaced in the mid-19th century by the Vittorio Emanuele II Theater (Teatro Vittorio Emanuele II), today the Amintore Galli Theater (Teatro Amintore Galli).   ARCHITECTURE OF PIAZZA CAVOUR Three municipal buildings – Palazzo del Podestà, Palazzo dell’Arengo and Palazzo Garampi, define the northern side of the square. Palazzo dell’Arengo was built starting with 1204, and it was the meeting place for the council of the people of Rimini. It has a loggia Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Palazzo Massani

    Palazzo Massani is a Neoclassical palace in Rimini, located across the street from the city’s Cathedral, Tempio Malatestiano. Today, the palace houses the offices of the Prefecture.   SHORT HISTORY OF PALAZZO MASSANI Palazzo Massani was built at the end of the 19th century for the nobleman Guglielmo Massani, a great benefactor of the poor. The construction of the palace was entrusted to Ghinelli di Santarcangelo, who designed the structure in Neoclassical style. During the Second World War, the palace was badly damaged by bombings. After the war, it was the subject of a hasty and incomplete reconstruction. Recently, the palace was restored by Paolo Beltrambini.   ARCHITECTURE OF PALAZZO MASSANI The main facade of the palace overlooking Via IV Novembre has three floors. On the ground floor, there are six large windows, with a large portal in the center. The portal is surmounted by a balcony. Each of the two upper floors has nine rectangular windows. On the second floor, the windows have round pediments, while the windows on the third floor are surmounted by a cornice. Inside, we can find the remains of an ancient Roman domus (house), with a floor in pink marble slabs, and an 18th-century Read more [...]

  • Favorite

    Rimini Beach

    The Rimini Beach is a beach in Rimini, located along the beautiful coast of the Adriatic Sea.   DESCRIPTION OF THE RIMINI BEACH The Beach of Rimini, about 15 kilometers long and up to 200 meters wide, is one of the most famous and sought after beaches both in Italy and in Europe. The beach, wide, long and made up of fine-grained golden sand, is formed by combining 14 bathing establishments and some free beach areas. The bathing establishments, which are among the best equipped on the coast, are entirely managed. The Free Beach of Rimini (Spiaggia Libera) starts from the pier of the Port of Rimini (Molo di Levante), and continues for about 300 meters. At the base of the pier, there is a large Ferris Wheel (Ruota Panoramica), and near its top we can find a restaurant which recalls the short-lived micronation Isola delle Rose (Republic of Rose Island), the Rockisland. In addition to the classic beach equipment, such as deckchairs, umbrellas and sunbeds, you can rent from the bathing establishments equipment to practice sports both in the water and on the sand. On the beach, during the summer season, you will find lifeguards, beach tennis, soccer, basketball, Read more [...]