The origins of the airport date back to 1911, when Ugo and Guido Antoni transformed a piece of land into a flight field, to test the aircraft built by the Antoni Aviation Company. In 1914, the infrastructure was expanded with the construction of a military school for pilots.
In the 1950s, began its development with the construction of two runways and related logistics facilities to ensure the operation of the military transport aircraft Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar, which was recently acquired. In the 1960s, the current civilian airport was born, named after the famous Pisan scientist Galileo Galilei.
With the opening to low-cost airlines in the 1990s, the airport conquered this market segment, remaining the main airport in Tuscany, with a traffic of passengers more than twice as high as that of the Florence airport.
HOW TO GET THERE
The proximity to the city allows passengers to get to the airport in less than no time. For this, they can use the Pisa Mover, the automated people mover system which connects the Pisa Centrale train station to the airport. The trip takes about 5 minutes.
The closest bus station is Sant’Agostino 1, on the bus Line LAM Verde, located about 300 meters away.