The Church of San Marcuola is a church dedicated to Saints Hermagoras and Fortunatus, located in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Venice. The church is situated across the Grand Canal from the Fondaco dei Turchi.
The name Marcuola comes from the Venetian pronunciation for Hermagoras.
The current church was built in the 12th century on the site of an ancient church from the 9th century, thanks to the contributions of the Memmo family, owners of the island of San Giorgio Maggiore.
In 1663, minor changes were made to the structure. Later, the architect Antonio Gaspari presented a new renovation project, but the works were started only after his death, under the direction of the architect Giorgio Massari. In 1736, Giorgio Massari managed to complete the interior of the church, but the facade remained unfinished.
In 1779, the church was consecrated for the last time by the Patriarch Federico Maria Giovanelli.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The church has a single nave with a square plan, covered by a barrel vault. The presbytery was created from a semicircular apse, and is practically the vestibule of the beautiful rectangular main chapel, surmounted by an oval dome, supported by four columns.
The Chapel of Christ, placed opposite the presbytery, dates back to 1735.
The entrance door is placed on the left side of the church, because, according to some drawings found in the Correr Museum, Massari wanted to recreate the same effect as the Church of Santa Maria del Rosario.
The church hosts a vast collection of statues by the sculptor Gaetano Susali, but the most important work found here is Jacopo Tintoretto’s Last Supper.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest waterbus stop is San Marcuola, located right in front of the church, on the waterbus Lines 1 and 2. To find the church on foot, use the map below.