Founded in the 9th century, the Church of San Giacomo dall’Orio is one of the oldest churches in Venice. The church, located in the Santa Croce district, in the Campo San Giacomo dall’Orio, is part of the same parish with the Church of San Stae and the Church of San Zan Degolà.
The church was erected in the 9th century and rebuilt in Byzantine style in 1225 by the noble families Badoer and Da Mula. Between the 15th and 16th centuries, the church was remodeled in Gothic style.
From this church, the pilgrimages to Santiago di Compostela began, as evidenced by the image of a man carrying a shell placed on the bell tower. The tower dates back to 1225.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The interior is characterized by the coexistence of various architectural styles: the bell tower and the basilica plan with three naves belong to the Byzantine style, while the roof is Gothic and the decorations of the main altar and the central nave are Lombard.
On the counter-facade, we can find the organ and, underneath, three 16th-century paintings attributable to Andrea Schiavone: Appeal of the Apostles, Dispute of Jesus with the doctors of the temple and the Martyrdom of Saint James.
After the New Sacristy, there is the Chapel of the Sacrament, dating back to the second half of the 16th century and renovated in 1753, in which we can find paintings by Alessandro Varotari, Tizianello, Giulio Del Moro and Jacopo Palma il Giovane.
After the Old Sacristy, there is the Chapel of San Lorenzo, decorated by a Virgin in Glory and Saints, of the 18th century, St. Lawrence distributing his goods to the poor by Jacopo Palma il Giovane and, above the altar, the altarpiece Madonna and Saints attributed to the painter Giovanni Battista Pittoni. Pittoni was buried in the church in 1767.
The most important works are preserved in the sacristy, in particular in the New Sacristy. Here, we can find the works of Paolo Veronese: Allegory of Faith and The Doctors of the Church.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest vaporetto stop is Riva de Biasio, located about 350 meters away, on the waterbus Lines 1, 5.1 and 5.2. To find the church on foot, use the map below.