Palazzo dei Priori is one of the best examples of public buildings in the Middle Ages. Located in the central Piazza IV Novembre, it still hosts today the Town Hall and, on the top floors, the National Gallery of Umbria.
Palazzo dei Priori was built in Gothic style between 1293 and 1443, in several construction phases. The irregularity of the façades is explained in the long course of construction, aimed at continuous additions and renovations.
First, between 1293 and 1297, was built the palace for the Capitano del Popolo by Giacomo di Servadio and Giovanello di Benevento. Each of the two main floors comprised a single room. The room on the lower floor was originally the Sala del Consiglio, the room used for meetings of the Council that advised the Capitano del Popolo, that it later became the Sala dei Notari (Hall of Notaries). The room above is today the Sala Podiani of the Galleria Nazionale.
Between 1333 and 1337, there was the first enlargement, when it was built the right side, with two windows and the portico of three arches, replaceing the church of San Severo. With the additions from 1353, the palace reached Via dei Priori. The last construction phase, between 1429 and 1443, saw the erection of the complex built after Via dei Priori.
The palace was greatly altered during the papal domination, but between 1862 and 1936 underwent a long and difficult restoration to its original appearance. In 1902, the architect Ambrogio Maitani replaced the old staircase with two access ramps to the front of the square with the current fan shape.
Today, the top two floors of the palace are housing the Galleria Nazionale, while the rest of the building is used by the municipality.
HOW TO GET THERE
In Perugia, all roads lead to Piazza IV Novembre, where are located the most important attractions of the city: Fontana Maggiore, the Cathedral of San Lorenzo and, of course, Palazzo dei Priori. To get to the palace, from anywhere in the city, you can use the map below.