Palazzo Vescovile (Bishop’s Palace) is a palace in Perugia, located in Piazza IV Novembre, near Palazzo dei Priori, in the historical center of the city. SHORT HISTORY On this site, between 1283 and 1292, Palazzo del Podesta was built. After it was damaged by fire in 1329, it was rebuilt. In 1414, Braccio Fortebracci made the palace his residence, and lived there until 1424, as Lord of Perugia. Fortebracci built the loggia located on the northern side of Piazza IV Novembre, which is now part of the Cathedral of San Lorenzo. Palazzo Vescovile was later used by the papal governors of Perugia. In 1534, when Ridolfo Baglioni conquered Perugia, Palazzo del Podesta was again set on fire. In the 16th century, Pope Pius IV allowed Cardinal Fulvio della Corgna to build two buildings on the site of the former Palazzo del Podesta – the episcopal seminary and the Bishop’s Palace. Later, between 1586 and 1591, Cardinal Antonio Maria Gallo made improvements to the palace. ARCHITECTURE The palace incorporates a part of the old Palazzo del Podesta (the three arched Gothic windows on the right), remains from the 16th century, before the palace was set on fire. HOW Read more [...]
In Italy, a residence of a nobleman, usually larger than a regular house, is called palazzo, a term translated into English as palace. In the past, besides residences, the palazzi also functioned as warehouses and office spaces. Many cities in Italy have a Palazzo Ducale, the seat of the local lord. Probably, the city with the most palaces is Venice, mostly located on the banks of the Grand Canal.
Maybe the most important palaces in Italy are Palazzo Pitti and Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Palazzo Reale in Caserta, Doge’s Palace in Venice, Palazzo Reale in Milan, Palazzo del Quirinale in Rome, Palazzo Reale in Naples, Palazzo della Ragione in Padua and Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia. With so many palaces, it is hard to decide which are the most beautiful and worth visiting, and that is why we suggest that you visit them all.
Palazzo dei Priori is a Gothic palace in Perugia, located in Piazza IV Novembre, in the historical center of the city. Palazzo dei Priori houses today the Municipal Offices of Perugia and, on the top floors, the National Gallery of Umbria (Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria). SHORT HISTORY Palazzo dei Priori was built in Gothic style between 1293 and 1443, a period divided into several construction phases. The irregularity of its facades is explained by the long course of construction, in which continuous additions and renovations were made. First, between 1293 and 1297, the palace for the Captain of the People (Capitano del Popolo) was built by Giacomo di Servadio and Giovanello di Benevento. Each of the two main floors of the palace comprised of a single large hall. The hall on the lower floor was originally known as the Council Hall (Sala del Consiglio), a hall used for meetings of the council which advised the Captain of the People. Later, the hall became known as the Hall of Notaries (Sala dei Notari). The hall on the second floor, known as Sala Podiani, belongs today to the National Gallery of Umbria. Between 1333 and 1337, there was the first enlargement of Read more [...]