Saint Clare of Assisi is one of the first followers of Saint Francis of Assisi. She founded the Order of Poor Ladies, known today as the Order of Poor Clares, a religious order for women, in the Franciscan tradition.
The local confraternity, devoted to Santa Chiara, was founded in 1403. The existence and works of the congregation are mentioned in numerous documents dated back to the 16th century.
In a document dated 1582, the visit of Monsignor Francesco Bossi is attested, where the condition of the church and its furnishings was verified. The church was completely rebuilt and enlarged in the first half of the 17th century.
Inside, we can find a wooden crucifix from 1712 by the sculptor Giovanni Battista Maragliano, son of the famous Baroque sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano. The crucifix was restored in 1988.
Another interesting work of art is the large altarpiece depicting Saint Roch with Saint Pantaleone and Saint Firmina, dated 1759, of an unknown painter.
Another valuable painting inside the church is the one depicting Saint Clare with Saints Francis, John the Baptist, Simon and Sebastian, painted in 1602, also by an unknown painter.
The high altar was carved in marble at the beginning of the 18th century by the sculptor G.B. Stella. The 18th-century organ is the work of Lorenzo Roccatagliata. The organ was restored between 1994 and 1995.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of Santa Chiara is located about 550 meters or about 10 minutes on foot from the Bogliasco railway station. To easily find the church, use the map below.