The palace was built between 1499 and 1517 for Cardinal Adriano Castellesi, an important dignitary of the papal court. The project of the building was attributed to Donato Bramante.
The building was built in Piazza Scossacavalli, in the context of the redevelopment of the entire urban sector, after the opening of the new Via Alessandrina.
In 1504, the Cardinal Castellesi handed the palace to Henry VII, King of England. Later, Henry VII gave the building to Lorenzo Campeggio, the last Cardinal Protector of England, who lived in the palace between 1519 and 1524.
Between 1609 and 1635, the palace was owned by the Borghese family. In 1760, it was named Palazzo Giraud, when it became the property of a French family of bankers. In 1820, the palace was purchased by the Torlonia family.
Palazzo Torlonia is the only historic palace in the area which remained untouched during the works for the construction of Via della Conciliazione, in the first decades of the 20th century.
Palazzo Torlonia has a facade in smooth ashlar, with three floors. The ground floor has six rectangular windows and a large portal in the center.
The upper floors are characterised by two superimposed orders of pilasters. Between the paired pilasters on the noble floor, there are arched windows delimited by beautiful frames.
The palace has a central courtyard with a portico on four sides of the ground floor, consisting of arches on rectangular pillars.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest Metro station is Ottaviano, located about 1 kilometer away, on the Metro Line A. The closest bus stop is Traspontina/Conciliazione, located about 180 meters away, on the bus Lines 23, 40 and 982.
Find a place to stay