Palazzo della Provincia is a palace in Bari, part of the larger monumental transformation project of the Lungomare Nazario Sauro during the first decades of the 20th century, which hosts today the Pinacoteca Metropolitana di Bari Corrado Giaquinto (Painting Gallery of Metropolitan City of Bari).
The Provincial Administration commissioned the design of its definitive headquarters in 1930. The palace, completed in 1936, is the result of the collaboration of the best Apulian architects of the time, coordinated by Luigi Baffa.
Severely damaged during the Second World War, today the building houses the offices and the council chamber of the Provincial Administration, the Painting Gallery of Metropolitan City of Bari and the Archives of the city.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The building is characterized by eclecticism that recalls the neo-medieval civil architecture. The palace presents itself as an irregular quadrilateral, alternating Trani stone and red bricks.
At the center of the rusticated base, there are five large round arches that give access to a portico in two-color marble.
Beyond the upper floors, stands a clock tower, an allusion to the bell tower of the Cathedral of San Sabino, also visible from the Lungomare Nazario Sauro. The clock tower is 62 meters high and divided into five levels.
Inside the building, there is the Pinacoteca Metropolitana di Bari, which collects paintings by artists from Apulia, Veneto, Tuscany, Naples, from the Middle Ages to the Contemporary Age. Among the most illustrious, we can mention Tintoretto, Giacomo Palma il Giovane, Giovanni Bellini, Bartolomeo Vivarini and Paris Bordon.
Beyond its permanent collections, the Pinacoteca houses exhibitions, book presentations, conferences, musical events, research and publications, seminars and training meetings.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo della Provincia is located along the seafront of Bari, the Lungomare Nazario Sauro, about 1.3 kilometers away from the Bari Centrale railway station, or about 20 minutes on foot.