In the penultimate Saturday in June, during the evening, is held the Giostra di San Donato, dedicated to San Donato, the patron saint of Arezzo, and in the first Sunday of September, during the day, is held the Giostra della Madonna del Conforto, dedicated to Our Lady of Comfort, protector of the city.
The Saracen Joust is a competition between the four Quarters of the city: the Porta Crucifera District, the Porta del Foro District, the Porta Sant’Andrea District and the Porta Santo Spirito District.
The competition consists of hitting a target held by the Buratto, a revolving armor-plated dummy who personifies the King of the Indies. The participants, two of each team, eight in total, gallop their horses towards the Buratto, trying to hit the target with a lance. The couple of knights with the highest score win the competition.
The Joust is preceded by a procession of 350 costumed people and 27 horses parading along the historical center of Arezzo, ending in Piazza Grande, where the tournament take place.
GIOSTRA DI SAN DONATO 2019, dedicated to San Donato, the patron saint of the city, will take place on June 15, after the following schedule:
- 7.00 am – First cannon salute;
- 10.30 am – Departure of the Municipal Foot Soldiers and Valets from the Duomo of Arezzo;
- 11.00 am – Second cannon salute; The Joust Procession begins;
- 7.00 pm – Third cannon salute; The blessing of the knights;
- 7.30 pm – Parade Assembly in Saint Domenico Square;
- 8.00 pm – Fourth cannon salute;
- 8.15 pm – Blessing of the teams by the Bishop of Arezzo;
- 8.30 pm – Grand parade through the town’s historical center;
- 9.00 pm – Fifth cannon salute; Giostra del Saracino begins.