The tower was built by the powerful Lamberti family starting with the 11th century. The lower part of the tower, from terracotta and tuff blocks, dates back to that period.
In 1140, the structure became a civic tower and the first bell, Rengo, was installed. The bell sounded to summon the Arengo (City Council) and for calling the army in an emergency.
In 1272, a second bell, called Marangona, was added. The Marangona sounded a warning in the event of fire and it marked the hours of the day, thereby regulating the city life. In 1311, the third bell was installed, called Consolata.
In May 1403, the lightning struck the top of the tower, and the restoration work began only in 1448, and lasted until 1464. In the same period, the tower was elevated to 84 meters.
In 1779, there was the proposal to place a large clock on the tower, but the watchmaker who was comissioned to make the clock died before starting the work. Only in 1798, the count Giovanni Sagramoso placed, at his own expense, a clock on the tower.
Towards the end of the 18th century, the Consolata was dismantled and two smaller bells, Bell of the Hours and Rabbiosa, were added flanking the Marangona.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the task of ringing the bells was entrusted to the bell ringers of the Basilica of Santa Anastasia. It was the Arengo bell which, on November 4, 1918, announced the armistice with Austria and the end of the First World War.
The tower is now open to the public and it is possible to climp up to the top, thus enjoying the panoramic view of the city.
HOW TO GET THERE
Torre dei Lamberti is located about 2.2 kilometers from the Verona Porta Nuova railway station. The closest bus stop is right in front of the tower, in Piazza delle Erbe, on the bus Lines 70, 96 and 97. To find the tower on foot, use the map below.