The original church was built in the 12th century, but renovated many times over the centuries.
During the Middle Ages, the appointments of Pope Martin IV and of Cardinals Niccolò IV and Bonifacio VIII took place in the church.
The Church of Sant’Andrea, together with the adjacent dodecagonal tower, was restored by the architect Gustavo Giovannoni in 1926.
During the restoration, modern works were inserted into the facade, such as the high reliefs in the lunette of the portal, the stained glass rose window and the majolica and terracotta of the new portico.
However, this restoration completely removed the modifications made during the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries.
The Church of Sant’Andrea has a Latin cross plan with three naves, a transept and a semicircular apse.
The naves are covered with wooden trusses, while the ceiling between the central body and the transept is covered by cross vaults supported by beam pillars.
In the center of the quadrangular apse, there is the pipe organ, built by the Migliorini brothers in the first half of the 20th century.
The perimeter walls are made of tuff, and the floor of marble. The adjacent dodecagonal tower belongs to the church.
Inside the church, there is a Cosmatesque pulpit, a tomb aedicule, and the remains of various frescoes dating back to the 14th, 17th and 19th centuries.
In the crypt of the church, there are visible remains from the Villanovan period, the earliest phase of the Etruscan civilization. The most notable layer is the upper one, in which extensive remains of mosaics belonging to the 6th century are preserved.
HOW TO GET THERE
The closest bus stop is in front of the church, in Piazza della Repubblica, on the bus Lines 5, 14, 16 and CB. To find the church on foot, use the map below.
Find a place to stay