Pozzo della Cava is one of the two ancient wells in Orvieto, the other being Pozzo di San Patrizio.
The well was excavated, initially, by the Etruscans searching for water springs in Orvieto.
Many centuries later, in 1527, Pope Clement VII took refuge in Orvieto after the Sack of Rome, and ordered the rehabilitation of the well, before comissioning the new Pozzo di San Patrizio.
The work was funded by the Municipality and was completed in 1530.
Pozzo della Cava remained open until 1646, when the town authorities ordered its closing, after five French officers who attempted to molest local women were thrown into the well.
After more than 3 centuries, the well was uncovered by Tersilio Sciarra in December 1984. The restoration works lasted until 1996 and, in 2004, the ancient access from Via della Cava was restored.
The well is 36 meters deep, including the height of the spring water at the bottom.
Pozzo della Cava consists of two parts that have been unified – a larger one, circular, with an average diameter of 3.40 meters, and a smaller rectangular shaft, measuring 60 x 80 centimeters.
A tunnel about 1.7 meters high and approximately 20 meters long opens inside the rectangular portion, at a depth of 30 meters.
The bottom, almost completely covered with clay and mud, has a deep groove on the left side, along which the water flows.
HOW TO GET THERE
Pozzo della Cava is located about 1.3 kilometers away from Piazza Cahen and the funicular to the Orvieto railway station. The closest bus stop is located in Via Filippeschi, about 100 meters away, on the bus Line CC. To find the well on foot, use the map below.
Find a place to stay