• About

    Fortezza Albornoz, also known as Rocca di Albornoz, is a fortress in Orvieto, located in Piazza Cahen, on the eastern edge of the historical center of the town.



    Fortezza Albornoz was built starting with 1364 in a strategic point of Orvieto, on the eastern edge of a cliff, as part of the work of reorganization of papal power in the central Italy by Cardinal Egidio Albornoz.

    The project was entrusted to the military architect Ugolino di Montemarte, whose noble family had possessions in the area.

    In 1389, the fortress was partially destroyed, during a time when the city was passing through some internal struggles.

    In 1413, Francesco I Orsini strengthened the defensive system of the fortress, but, in the following year, the new fortification failed to repel the assaults of Ladislaus the Magnanimous, King of Naples.

    In poor conditions, Fortezza Albornoz was then rebuilt by Antonio da Carpi on the old perimeter, with the addition of a circular tower to protect the gate, and was completed in 1450 under the supervision of Bernardo Rossellino.

    In 1527, when Pope Clement VII took refuge in Orvieto after the Sack of Rome, he commissioned Antonio da Sangallo the Younger to build a well near the fortress. The well was known at the beginning as Pozzo della Rocca, and later as Pozzo di San Patrizio.

    In the 17th century, other renovation works on the fortress were carried under the popes Paul II, Urban VIII and Alexander VII, as shown by their coats of arms on the entrance gate.

    In the 19th century, the fortress lost its original defensive function, and become a place for the public. In 1841, Francesco Ricchi took it on a lease for thirty years, and built an amphitheater for equestrian races and public events. After the lease period ended, in 1871, the amphitheater came under the control of the Municipality, which continued to host public events.

    The amphitheater was demolished later, because it was in a poor state of conservation, and the moats of the fortress were filled in 1888 for the construction of the funicular which connects the historical center of Orvieto to the lower part of the city.

    Today, Rocca di Albornoz houses the public gardens of Orvieto.



    The original fortification consisted of a quadrilateral wall surrounded by a large moat and drawbridges. Today, only a small part of the wall remains, with the tower overlooking Porta Soliana, also known as Porta Rocca.



    Fortezza Albornoz is located in Piazza Cahen, about 2.7 kilometers on foot from the Orvieto railway station. However, the best way to get from the railway station to the fortress is by funicular, which runs every day from 7.15 am to 8.30 pm. A trip takes about 5 minutes, and a ticket costs 1.30€.

    The closest bus stop is in Piazza Cahen, in front of the funicular station, on the bus Lines 1, A, CC, E023, E643, E644, E645, E646, E648, E649, E650, E651, E652 and E653.

  • Find a place to stay
  • Photos
  • Map

    No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.

  • Reviews

    Leave a Review

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Rate this Place (overall):
    • rating icon
    • rating icon
    • rating icon
    • rating icon
    • rating icon

    Drop files to upload

    Please drag & drop the images to rearrange the order

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.