Palazzo Lanfreducci, also called Palazzo alla Giornata or Palazzo Upezzinghi, after the 19th century owners, is a Mannerist or early Baroque-style palace on the Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, in Pisa. The building is now the seat of the Rectorate of the University of Pisa.
Built at the behest of Francesco Lanfreducci, Knight of Malta and exponent of an important and ancient family of Pisa from the 13th century, the palace owes its present appearance to the Sienese architect Cosimo Pugliani, who suprevised the works between 1594 and the early 17th century.
The Pisans called it Palazzo alla Giornata, inspired by the motto chosen by its owner. One of the many legends raised by the enigmatic motto alla Giornata (on the day of the battle) tells that, after a long imprisonment in Algiers, the Knight Lanfreducci placed that inscription above the door as a reflection on the precariousness of life.
Behind the palace, there was a church called San Biagio delle Catene, owned by the Lanfreducci family.
Torre dei Lanfreducci (Tower of Lanfreducci) is one of Pisa’s best preserved medieval towers, located in the internal courtyard of the palace. The tower, with a rectangular plan, was built in two stages – in the second half of the 12th century and in the 14th century.
The facade in marble and Verrucano stone, divided into three floors, is decorated in the Mannerist style. A few steps lead to the doorway, with a balcony above and a French window surmounted by the family coat of arms with a rampant lion. A chain with three rings hangs below the lintel.
HOW TO GET THERE
Palazzo Lanfreducci is located about 1.2 kilometers away from the Pisa Centrale train station, or about 15 minutes on foot. The closest bus station is Pacinotti 2, on the bus Lines 2, 4, 5, 13, 21, 22, LAM Verde and Navetta E, located about 100 meters away.