The Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri, also known as the Church of the Madonna del Santissimo Rosario, is a deconsecrated church in Ragusa, located in Piazza Giovan Battista Hodierna, near the entrance of the Giardino Ibleo.
The church was founded in 1509 by the friars of the Dominican Order, who also built, at the same time, an adjacent convent which no longer exists.
After the earthquake of 1693, both the facade and the interior were rebuilt. Behind the apse of the church, an oratory used as the seat of the confraternity was also built.
The church and the convent underwent major transformations during the 20th century. At the beginning of the century, the oratory was demolished to create the avenue inside the Hyblean Garden, which today connects the Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri to the Church of San Giacomo Apostolo.
In 2004, restoration works of the interior and the facade were started. From December 2010, the building, with about 140 seats, was used as a public auditorium, for cultural events and conferences.
It is not known whether the current facade was completely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1693 or the today’s facade is the original one, which was only restored at the beginning of the 18th century.
The rectangular facade is relatively simple, built with limestone ashlars and bordered on both sides by Corinthian pilasters. The portal is decorated with two Corinthian semi-columns that support a broken pediment. Above the portal, there is a window overlaid by a small frame. To the right of the portal, there is a large sundial.
An important element of the facade is the bell tower. Supported by a sturdy base, it is characterized by a belfry with four windows. The cusp with colored tiles forming zig-zag motifs stands out.
The interior of the church has a single nave, ending with a semicircular apse. The current absence of the original paintings is compensated by the presence of numerous twisted columns embellished with leafy motifs and cherubs.
HOW TO GET THERE
The church is located about 2.7 kilometers from the Ragusa railway station and about 3.6 kilometers from the city’s bus terminal. To find the church on foot, use the map below.