Giardino Ibleo is a public garden located on the eastern limit of Ragusa Ibla, the ancient part of Ragusa, overlooking the valley of the Irminio river.
Until the early 19th century, the area of the garden was a deserted enclosure, with only some ruins of the Cathedral of San Giorgio, collapsed during the earthquake of 1693.
The garden was built in 1858, on the initiative of some local nobles and a large part of the population, who worked for free for its contruction.
A fence was added in June, 1907. On that occasion, the entrance to the garden was moved to its current position.
The garden rises on a spur of rock, at an altitude of 385 meters, and occupies a surface area of about 15,800 square meters, with a perimeter of about 600 meters.
Giardino Ibleo is characterized by the interesting coexistence of plants and trees with beautiful fountains and remarkable buldings, such as the monumental churches of San Vincenzo Ferreri, San Giacomo Apostolo and Sant’Agata, and the Capuchin convent located in the southeastern corner of the garden.
In the garden, it is possible to distinguish approximately three areas corresponding to the different phases of its construction.
The first, from the main entrance to the Capuchin convent, constitutes the original nucleus of the garden and is certainly the most valuable both in the architectural component and in the botanical one.
This area is characterized by the majestic specimen of Ulmus minor at the entrance, the long Viale delle Palme, flanked by 50 specimens of palm trees, and the Viale delle Colonnine, with several Cercis siliquastrum trees.
From the Capuchin convent, we enter the second part of the garden, built in a more rigorous style, with geometric flower beds arranged around a circular fountain. An interesting element is the small hill, which is accessed by two stone staircases.
The third and most recent part of the garden consists of an area populated by pine trees, the so-called Boschetto della Rimembranza, arranged in an irregular manner.
HOW TO GET THERE
The garden is located almost 3 kilometers away from the Ragusa railway station and almost 4 kilometers from the city’s bus terminal. To find the garden on foot, use the map below.
Find a place to stay