The church was built by Corradino Randazzo and Vincenzo Sortino on a project by Rosario Gagliardi. The building was completed in 1743.
ART AND ARCHITECTURE
The facade of the church, slightly concave towards the inside, has a single portal, surmounted by a large coat of arms of the Carmelites, supported by two angels. Above the coat of arms, there is a large semicircular architrave. The entablature is supported by four pillars in Corinthian style.
The second order has a central window, with two pillars on the sides. The lateral pinnacles are decorated with geometric figures carved in bas-relief. The third order is represented by a bell-gable consisting of three arched niches surmounted by pinnacles.
Inside, the church has a single nave decorated with fine polychrome stuccoes and frescoed geometric and floral figures. On both sides of the nave, there are splendid Baroque altars containing beautiful works of art, including 18th-century paintings.
The most beautiful part of the church is undoubtedly the presbytery, with the apse decorated with fine stuccoes of the 18th century.
Here, we can admire the splendid marble High Altar, the most particular work of art in the church. The tabernacle is surmounted by imposing pink marble columns, which support the entablature, richly sculpted with superb bas-reliefs decorated with gilded and polychromatic stuccoes.
In the center, there is the beautiful statue depicting Our Lady of Carmel, attributed to the sculptor Antonio da Monachello. The precious work of art was miraculously found in the rubble of the ancient city of Noto, after the eartquake of 1693.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Church of the Madonna del Carmine is located about 1.5 kilometers away from the Noto railway station. To find the church on foot, use the map below.